Injured Duck

MamacatPatch

Crowing
15 Years
Jul 10, 2007
We had three female ducks in a separate area because we had 18 males who were trying to mate them and they were getting pretty beat up. Well, something got into the pen and killed two of the three girls and the third was injured. She already had white film over one eye, most likely from mating injury, but after the attack she has bite marks all over her head, beak, neck and one leg. We put her in a sturdy cage by herself. Her bite injuries seem to be healing fine, but she's not using her leg much. It looks like she might have a good bite around the joint area. She hobbles around pretty well, since she's in a large cage with a water tub to swim and clean in. Otherwise she's healthy and fiesty. I don't have much experience in tending injured ducks so any advice is welcome. Should I wrap the leg, put iodine on it, let it be? Should I give her any natural antibiotics like collodial silver, Iodine, niacin?

Yes pictures would be good idea. You have treated all bite marks correct? you may have to pluck or clip the feathers away from this particular area to get a good picture of what's going on. Very sorry for your loss.

108384475_660033128059081_7368116254225337769_n.jpg

Joint area in the leg is hot and swollen so I'm guessing infection. I have applied collidial silver to beak and eye. I use that a lot for all our animals. I felt the leg from hip to toes and don't feel anything broken.

I use the silver also but that eye needs more get the terramycin eye ointment TSC. Rinse the eye with a saline wash to clean it real good before applying the ointment. Do you have any animal or people antibiotics? If the leg is infected she’s going to need an antibiotic. So you think a bite has caused infection in her joint? No open wound?

She was fine before the attack and got around well, so I am assuming the coon or whatever it was bit her. No open wounds or drainage tho. I have some animal antibiotics left over from a cat vet visit. Can I buy that terramycin eye ointment TSC at stores? Any idea what caused that? I can see the eye under the white film.

She was fine before the attack and got around well, so I am assuming the coon or whatever it was bit her. No open wounds or drainage tho. I have some animal antibiotics left over from a cat vet visit. Can I buy that terramycin eye ointment TSC at stores? Any idea what caused that? I can see the eye under the white film.
Yes you can get it at TSC.

Back
Top Bottom