Injured Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sgtfirstwife, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Sgtfirstwife

Sgtfirstwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2012
    Stedman
    I have.7 month kid Cayuga mix make duck with an injured ankle. It is very swollen and he is not putting much weight on it. I am sure one of my other male ducks hurt him. He is not part if the group. I have two Pekin ducks, one male and one female and one other mix 6 month old duck. I am hatching more ducks right now.
    I have separated French Fry from the others. Any more suggestions?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes, separating him is a start. I feel he may have a bad sprain or possibly you are seeing an infection.

In either case, make a solution of Epsom salt and water and either wrap the leg and foot in a clean cloth or paper towel for several minutes three times a day, or hold the duck's feet and legs in a large plastic bowl or small bucket with the solution deep enough to cover the entire leg three times a day.

Examine the foot - any sign of bumblefoot? Is it warm? If so, I would lean toward thinking it is an infection, and I would slather the foot and leg with triple antibiotic ointment or cream after each e.s. soak.

If no sign of infection, I would think more likely a sprain, and if you have Traumeel or comfrey salve, slather the foot and leg with that after each soak.

Sometimes a bumblefoot infection gets into the bloodstream, and then an oral or injectable antibiotic is needed. I prefer to have a vet's guidance on that, but if that is not possible for you, most feed stores sell antibiotics.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by