Injured foot or leg

He’s adorable. Have you read up on roosters that stop crowing? It’s good you are taking him to the vet. Keep me posted on what the vet says.
Well I took Smokey to the vet & he weighed 6.5#. Not sure if that is a healthy wgt for roosters or not but he got 2 injections, (one antibiotic & a steroid). The vet is concerned thatMarek’s .but wwwe
We

Well I took Smokey to the vet & he weighed 6.5#. Not sure if that is a healthy wgt for roosters or not but he got 2 injections, (one antibiotic & a steroid). The vet is concerned thatMarek’s .but wwwe
We
What all is going on with Smokey? Hopefully it's not Mareks but sadly it's in so many flocks nowadays. It's heartbreaking. What are you supposed to do at home for Smokey? More meds?

@Gingera i am so so sorry for your loss. Did you have a necropsy on his remains? It's so tough to lose them, especially the good ones. Unfortunately it seems like bad stuff always happens to the best ones. My heart goes out to you. He was a lucky little guy to have spent his life with a loving and caring keeper.

What all is going on with Smokey? Hopefully it's not Mareks but sadly it's in so many flocks nowadays. It's heartbreaking. What are you supposed to do at home for Smokey? More meds?
He was beat up by a RIR so we gave it away. Two days prior to getting jumped up I noticed him standing on one foot a lot which could have been from running from the other rooster. We raised the two from biddies & had no idea that they would both be roosters. Smokey the Domenecker is a pet. Gave RIR away Tues or last week. That next day (Wed) Smokey was just sitting around. It has been very cold at night so I brought him in & put him in the tub to heal & got Knox-All xxx to put in his water for nutrients & vitamins. I took him to the vet this past Tuesday & he was given an antibiotic shot & a steroid shot there & I am giving him the same meds for 5 days. For the past 2 days he has been able to stand on the bad foot for a little while. Today is day 3 of his antibiotic & steroid meds. I put him outside in the sun next to the house during the day so he can get some sun. I just don’t know what else I can do. I looked for vitamin D2 yesterday & didn’t see that. I got a Waterer this morning because he keeps turning over his water bowl. I’ve been changing puppy pads in the tub like crazy & tried washing his little back end yesterday. It’s tiring but I want to try & get him well 😩.

Attachments

• A11E016C-501D-48A1-BBFF-6D3223F0BE8E.jpeg
    A11E016C-501D-48A1-BBFF-6D3223F0BE8E.jpeg
    599.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 0BCC4B15-28D1-43C6-B034-9DDBA836DBBB.jpeg
    0BCC4B15-28D1-43C6-B034-9DDBA836DBBB.jpeg
    420.5 KB · Views: 1
He was beat up by a RIR so we gave it away. Two days prior to getting jumped up I noticed him standing on one foot a lot which could have been from running from the other rooster. We raised the two from biddies & had no idea that they would both be roosters. Smokey the Domenecker is a pet. Gave RIR away Tues or last week. That next day (Wed) Smokey was just sitting around. It has been very cold at night so I brought him in & put him in the tub to heal & got Knox-All xxx to put in his water for nutrients & vitamins. I took him to the vet this past Tuesday & he was given an antibiotic shot & a steroid shot there & I am giving him the same meds for 5 days. For the past 2 days he has been able to stand on the bad foot for a little while. Today is day 3 of his antibiotic & steroid meds. I put him outside in the sun next to the house during the day so he can get some sun. I just don’t know what else I can do. I looked for vitamin D2 yesterday & didn’t see that. I got a Waterer this morning because he keeps turning over his water bowl. I’ve been changing puppy pads in the tub like crazy & tried washing his little back end yesterday. It’s tiring but I want to try & get him well 😩.
Poor guy! The fact that he's improving, even a little bit, sounds promising 💜 It's wonderful that you have a vet that will see chickens. I hope Smokey makes a full recovery 💜

This improvement is encouraging. I appreciate your care. We brought Merle in so the other chickens would not trample him. Plus he could not eat and drink on his own due to paralysis. Therefore, I am familiar with your exhaustion concerning the process. Sounds like you are a great mother hen. 😀.
Be encouraged he is improving. And be encouraged you have a vet that will provide options and meds!!!!

We
Ugh. I’m sorry he mentioned the M word. I had very helpful advice when I posted on Merle. I am not in the know. But I was told that if Merle improved it was probably an avian virus. And if he didn’t, it was probably Mareks. So the improvement from your other post gives cause for hope!!!!!!

We
I just replied to this but do not see it in my thread. Did you receive my response on your vet visit?

I just replied to this but do not see it in my thread. Did you receive my response on your vet visit?
No, I didn’t see it. I did see the reply about being a mother hen 💕. Smokey seemed to regress today bc seems like he sat most of the day. I just brought him in from outside & put him back in the tub for the night. Tomorrow will be a hard day bc he will have to stay inside,….the temps will not be very warm tomorrow for him to go outside.

No, I didn’t see it. I did see the reply about being a mother hen 💕. Smokey seemed to regress today bc seems like he sat most of the day. I just brought him in from outside & put him back in the tub for the night. Tomorrow will be a hard day bc he will have to stay inside,….the temps will not be very warm tomorrow for him to go outside.
Is Smokey eating and drinking enough? I'm sorry to read that he's not showing more improvement today. Doesn't sound like you're giving up yet so there's still hope. I'll be thinking about him and 🙏🏻 for both of you ❤️

Back
Top Bottom