Injured Foot

ChiksNCharge

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 27, 2012
I noticed a couple weeks ago that my buff orphington hen was limping pretty badly. We washed her foot and noticed what appeared to be a cut on the pad on the bottom of the foot. I separated her from the rest of the chickens for several days in a large crate with clean shavings but she really didn't seem to be doing very well on her own. Finally put her back with the rest of the flock where she seems much happier, but she is still limping and now also appears to have a spot on her comb. She also has not been laying very well and has passed several eggs without shells getting her feathers all goopy. Not sure if I should try any thing different or just let it go and see what happens - really can't afford a vet. Any suggestions?

It sounds like bumble foot. I would try to make her a foot cast with some medication on the wound to keep it for getting dirt in there and getting infected. It should heal after awhile
thumbsup.gif
. Could you try to post pics of the spot and the cut on her foot
hmm.png
? Also I would give her lots of oyster shell or high protein foods to help her make hard egg shells.

Thanks for your reply. She seems to be doing better but I have ordered a shoe online so I can give her foot some extra protection while it continues to heal. I keep both grit and oyster shell available to the chickens at all times - my guess is she is just stressed. I feed my layers layer pellets although I just introduced three new pullets to the flock and all my adult chickens spend most of their time trying to get to the chick crumbles.

Back
Top Bottom