Injured Foot

MrsFitzBear

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
I have a problem than I'm hoping someone can help me with. One of my 1-2 week old chicks had a blocked vent, but I was able to clean it out and my father-in-law nursed it back to health and it seems to be doing fine. I'm afraid though, that I damaged its
foot while I was treating it by letting it get too cold. The very tips of her toes started to bleed, so I put a band-aid on her foot to keep the other chicks from pecking at her toes. She stopped bleeding and the band-aid fell off, but now, as time goes on, the black-ness seems to be spreading up her toes to her foot/leg. I'm afraid that she'll lose her foot and then won't have a fighting chance. She seems to be doing well otherwise! Is there anything I can/should do for her foot?

Could this be "frostbite"?

I put that in quotations because I don't think it can literally be frostbite because she was never in very cold conditions. But I'm wondering if it could be a lack of circulation due to being cold and wet while I worked on cleaning her rear, which could have caused tissue death similar to that caused by frostbite...

Thoughts?

Okay, I had noticed that...any suggestions on what I can/should do with/for her? Or should I just wait to see what happens?

Back
Top Bottom