Injured Goose

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SpunksMom, Oct 3, 2016.

1. SpunksMom

SpunksMom Just Hatched

Oct 3, 2016
    Ok, I'm new to this, but I'm desperate for an answer. My grey Chinese goose was attacked by a dog a couple nights ago, and has some deep punctures. I put blukote on the wounds, but I'm afraid she has an infection. I can hear her heart beating when standing next to her and she doesn't seem interested in food or water. Is there a safe antibiotic I can get her on? No vets around me will help.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If the puncture wounds have developed an abscess, the best thing to do would be to open them up with a little peroxide (use only this once since it can prevent healing) and some QTips. If you get them open, try to drain them by squeezing. Use some Vetericyn or 10% betadine into the wounds. Antibiotics for animals will only be available without a prescription for the next few months, but you may be able to purchase Procaine Penicillin G injectable in the refrigerated medicines of your feed store. Dosage is 1/4 ml injected 1/4 inch deep into the breast muscle once daily for 4 days, and you will need a few 20 gauge needles and 3 cc syringes. Clavamox, amoxicillin, or cephalosporin are some other oral antibiotics that might work, but you will need to contact your vet. I see that you have already posted on the geese forum as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by