Injured Goose

Haven't heard any news about Ethel, hoping that means she is continuing to heal. Been so busy haven't taken time to post about her but think about her alot. Hope all is going well.

Hi Miss Lydia I've been super busy too. Ethel continues to do well but it is slow going. I do see the progress she is making. The only problem I'm having is that Fred hasn't been mating with the other geese. Not that I can see lately. I hope I'm wrong because I would love some baby geese. I have one goose who's eggs aren't fertile :( On the other hand I hatched out a sebbie baby in the incubator last night. It's my friends so I will give her back but she is so darn cute.

It rained pretty good here lately and when that happens I get water in the woods behind me. Ducks love it and normally the geese like it. Ethel will go reluctantly and will not stay long. I see it stresses her out a bit. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the pond she was found in. Usually she will come out and sit where it's dry and away from the water and wait for the others. Watching these geese is fascinating to say the least. She still runs from me if I get to close to her. She falls but only when she is really frightened of something and can't run away fast enough. She stays on her feet most days now. Her balance as she leans back is getting better but she still struggles with it.

Happy to hear Ethel is still moving forward !! Sorry Fred is so preoccupied with Ethel that he isn't taking care of his other girls. How old is he? maybe he isn't mature enough yet? Aww please post a pic of the baby, it is really making me want another goose.. I have 7 muscovy eggs under one of my ducks but another gosling would be fun too. Must be spring.

Happy to hear Ethel is still moving forward !! Sorry Fred is so preoccupied with Ethel that he isn't taking care of his other girls. How old is he? maybe he isn't mature enough yet? Aww please post a pic of the baby, it is really making me want another goose.. I have 7 muscovy eggs under one of my ducks but another gosling would be fun too. Must be spring.

My Sebbies Fred and Ginger are 1 yrs old today. I would image age will have something to do with the situation.

Here is the new baby. I don't know if it's a girl or a boy. I think it's a she. She hatched 3-30 and at night.

She is adorable
love.gif
anymore going to be joining her from the bator?
fl.gif

My Sebbies Fred and Ginger are 1 yrs old today. I would image age will have something to do with the situation.

Here is the new baby. I don't know if it's a girl or a boy. I think it's a she. She hatched 3-30 and at night.

Sadly the gosling died of a respiratory issue. Yep, heartsick over it. Nothing I did worked. All we can do is try I guess and hope for the best. I'm hoping more goslings will hatch. I did put several under my Sebbie goose. I candled all her eggs and only a few were fertile. So, I took the unfertile ones out and too the ones from the incubator that were doing well and put them under the setting goose. I hope I made the right choice. I figured she do a better job of hatching. Time will tell.

As for Ethel. She is still improving. The other day she fell a lot but I think it was because she was excited most of the day. Not sure why. She's calmed down some since. Maybe it was the warm weather or the dogs scared her. Who knows when it comes to a goofy goose. She has become more independent which is a good thing. I believe she laid and egg yesterday. I wish there was a way to tell if eggs are fertile other then waiting to see. Fred has started mating with the girls more and I believe he tried mating with Ethel. Not sure how that went or if he has tried again.

I am hoping her feathers will start coming in better and that angel wing will go away soon. I took her off that high protien diet she was on. Happy Easter to you. :)

Sadly the gosling died of a respiratory issue. Yep, heartsick over it. Nothing I did worked. All we can do is try I guess and hope for the best. I'm hoping more goslings will hatch. I did put several under my Sebbie goose. I candled all her eggs and only a few were fertile. So, I took the unfertile ones out and too the ones from the incubator that were doing well and put them under the setting goose. I hope I made the right choice. I figured she do a better job of hatching. Time will tell.

As for Ethel. She is still improving. The other day she fell a lot but I think it was because she was excited most of the day. Not sure why. She's calmed down some since. Maybe it was the warm weather or the dogs scared her. Who knows when it comes to a goofy goose. She has become more independent which is a good thing. I believe she laid and egg yesterday. I wish there was a way to tell if eggs are fertile other then waiting to see. Fred has started mating with the girls more and I believe he tried mating with Ethel. Not sure how that went or if he has tried again.

I am hoping her feathers will start coming in better and that angel wing will go away soon. I took her off that high protien diet she was on. Happy Easter to you. :)

So sorry about the gosling. it's so heartbreaking when we lose one. when are the rest due to hatch? and so happy to hear Ethel is improving and laid and egg too that is progress! as for her feathers she may have to go through molt before you see a change there. but so happy to hear how well she is doing. and Bless you for all you have done.. Hope you have a very Blessed Easter too.

Hi Miss Lydia, I hope you had a wonderful Easter. Mine was very nice. This week I've been sick so I haven't been able to update anything. Good news. Ethel is broody. She is setting on eggs. Maybe 6 and right next to Ginger. I can't say she makes that great of a brooding buddy but at least it gives Ginger company. I just wish I knew when Ginger started setting. I did have a chance to go through some of her eggs and get rid of the duds. I'm really hoping for some eggs to hatch. I can't take the suspension anymore. With all the chickens broody and 2 geese....... well, I want to see some babies!!!

I did have a chicken (bantam) hatch 13 and they are still running around. Now I have 9 other hens I'm waiting on. Ethel started on the April 10 so hopefully I have some fertile eggs under her. Her eggs are mixed with another goose. I can't say for sure if Ethel even laid an egg but it's possible. Is it fertile? I don't know that either. Ginger has been very nice. You can even pet her while she is sitting on those eggs. Ethel isn't as trusting and wants to hiss and bite you. She will even bite on Ginger for no reason and she was there first. Hopefully Ethel will behave but so far it's working out. I did have to get Ethel off Gingers eggs when Ginger went to eat a couple of times. I even had to switch them from nests.

Hi Miss Lydia, I hope you had a wonderful Easter. Mine was very nice. This week I've been sick so I haven't been able to update anything. Good news. Ethel is broody. She is setting on eggs. Maybe 6 and right next to Ginger. I can't say she makes that great of a brooding buddy but at least it gives Ginger company. I just wish I knew when Ginger started setting. I did have a chance to go through some of her eggs and get rid of the duds. I'm really hoping for some eggs to hatch. I can't take the suspension anymore. With all the chickens broody and 2 geese....... well, I want to see some babies!!!

I did have a chicken (bantam) hatch 13 and they are still running around. Now I have 9 other hens I'm waiting on. Ethel started on the April 10 so hopefully I have some fertile eggs under her. Her eggs are mixed with another goose. I can't say for sure if Ethel even laid an egg but it's possible. Is it fertile? I don't know that either. Ginger has been very nice. You can even pet her while she is sitting on those eggs. Ethel isn't as trusting and wants to hiss and bite you. She will even bite on Ginger for no reason and she was there first. Hopefully Ethel will behave but so far it's working out. I did have to get Ethel off Gingers eggs when Ginger went to eat a couple of times. I even had to switch them from nests.

Sounds like you have your hands full. lol I have 2 broody ducks and 1broody chicken at the moment, 2 have already hatched theirs. so busy here. What do you do with all your extras. I sure wish i was closer I really want a female companion for my Embden gander. I don't care if she is Embden just want him a companion. but I'll keep looking. found someone right here in my small county who has Sebbies but no goslings till nest year.
sad.png
I am so happy to hear Ethel has progressed to being broody. I hope you have some healthy gosling out of your 2 girls. suspence is hard and waiting harder. lol The only excitement in the goose department around here is on the river below our home are 2 canadian geese who have decided to nest where we can see them so thinking middle of May some babies, looking forward to seeing them even from a distance. I hope you are feeling much better now, Did you have that crud that seems to be going around? You know what Ethel will warm up to you in due time, how can she not with all the love and care you have poured into her...
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom