Injured Goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by crj, Mar 5, 2012.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Hi, I'm writing to see if anyone has good advise for this situation. My friend found her Sebbie sitting in the pond with her mate. It ends up the Sebbie was injured and sitting in a warm section of water.

The goose was taken out of the water and her feet looked on the whitish side so she was taken to a stall with her mate to get her warm under a lamp. She had some blood coming from her nose. She was also laying on her side. Couldn't find any puncture wounds. Yesterday she wasn't eating or drinking so she was force fed some electrolytes and vitamins. She moved from the lamp when she was warm enough but ended up cold again and the mate was sitting one her as if to keep her warm.

I have to go over to check on the goose. Is there anything I should try other then the water with the supplements? Is there a mash I can make for her to eat? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

BTW, I do have geese myself but never had a problem and hope not too.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hi wish i knew what to do, what could have injured her and not the other one? other than what your doing, you may try to get Nutri drench it can be given straight into the mouth.I hope you find her doing better today.. Please let us know. sorry i can't be of more help.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It's really impossible to give advice without knowing what happened to her.

I would say keep her from getting chilled. She won't want to be "warm' either. Keep her some place draft-free. Make sure she drinks. Cross your fingers.

It doesn't sound like the sort of thing that antibiotics will help, but if you decide to give antibiotics, give the entire course.

Good luck.

4. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I went and checked on her. She was laying on her side. I picked her up and fed her some of the mixture my friend had. I believe it was Duramycin. She felt dirty so that could have been from the pond and not being able to clean herself. When I put her down she did try to get up and she fell forward on her face. It's like she didn't have the strength or will to move her legs. I couldn't get her to eat a piece of grass or even a piece of celery. She did drink on her own at one point.

She did have some scraps on her legs that I did see. I didn't want to stress her out so I massaged her crop area if they have one like a chicken and I tried to rub her belly. She felt tight if that makes any sense. I'm going to the house and bring her home to my house. You see my friend has to work a 12 hour shift tomorrow like she did today and won't be able to care for her.

Any help would be appreciated. I will give her some electrolytes and vitamins as well.

5. rivermedic

rivermedic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    In a human, a "tight" abdomen can be a sign of bowl impaction or internal bleeding. I don't know about geese.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Does she think a predator? or human could have hurt her? I know bread isn't all that good for them but my goose wold probably eat bread on his death bed, you might try her on a little w/w bread just to see if she'll take some. Bless her heart it's good your going to be taking care of her but what about her mate? he'll probably be beside himself if you take her and not him.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

8. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Ok, I have the goose on my bedroom floor on a towel. First let me say I think she is a he. This goose has a rather large head which makes me think a boy but I couldn't be sure since I am not familiar with this goose. It may have gotten into a fight with one of the other boys.

I brought the goose home and the first thing I did was put it in the pool of clean water. Figured the goose could try and move a bit which it did. It's not very deep which works out well. The feathers are dry and dirty and figured a little cleaning up wouldn't hurt. He took 2 good poops and then a third so I'm sure that made him feel a bit better.

I had him on my lap and he drank water very well but still won't eat. I tried some bread, no luck, tried apple sauce, he didn't seem to care for it then I tried some cantaloupe... no good. How could he not want these??? I took pictures of him. Maybe this will help with ideas what happened.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the only 2 pictures I could get to load. These will have to do for now. I have dial up....... need I say more? If anyone can think of anything else please let me know. I'm glad he's at least drinking so that's a plus.

I'm glad I went back to get him. He was on his back and I think he would have died. It's suppose to be 32 and windy tonight. He's in the warm house so I won't need a light for him. I will put him in a pet crate..... one of those large plastic ones so he won't be bothered by anything.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thats wonderful what you are doing, and if a gander he could have very well gotten beaten up by the other ganders, when my Muscovy drake and Embden gander would fight they looked pretty tore up before I got to them to separate them, and he could be depressed is the reason he's not eating. Hopefully being away from the others and getting special attention will perk him up. if he had 3 good poops and you didn't see blood then hopefully no internal injurings other than sore and bruised. I wish I could have him he is good looking even in his beat up state. keep us updated.

10. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    It does look like he may have been in a fight with other ganders but appears alert and bright eyed.

At the moment I think the best treatment is privacy, warmth and isolation. Best of luck with him [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by