injured growing tail feather, some bleeding.

MistyMountain

Songster
10 Years
Aug 24, 2013
Virginia
Just noticed one of my 5 week old chicks had blood on it's tail. I looked closer and it looks to be coming from a tail feather that is still growing (quill like). I cleaned it up, but there looks like a buldge on it that is a bit darker... I assume this is a clot forming. I didn't want to remove the clot, so i cleaned the remaining yellow feathers as good as possible and dabbed some triple antibiotic ointment on it. It isn't bleeding now or at least that is really noticable. Is there anything else i should do? They have a red light in the brooder (no heat) and i don't have any blu kote yet. I hope that will help with picking. It is hidden pretty well by the feathers above the tail.

Here is a pic. The feathers cover it uo quite nicely. As i said before, I did not want to root around too much to upset whatever clotting/scabs were forming.

I went out to let the chickens out this morning and one had blood all over her bottom. I don't see any injuries but several feathers at the base are bleeding really badly. She is 9 months old. I just checked her and the bleeding had stopped but while I was holding her they started bleeding again. What is causing this? I don't want to put her back outside (she's in the basement) but I've never had one bleed so much from the base of feathers. She isn't molting. Is there something to give her to thicken her blood so she doesn't bleed so freely? I sprayed some stuff on her bottom to stop the bleeding but if she just bleeds while I am holding her, not sure if that will do the job.

Oh wow. I didn't have any problems after I first noticed mine. My guess... And hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in, is that some feathers got pulled and shes bleeding from there... I think if you make sure it is clean and let her be a while they should heal up. I would be sure to put blukote on them before putting her back with the flock. They may pick at it.

I went out to let the chickens out this morning and one had blood all over her bottom. I don't see any injuries but several feathers at the base are bleeding really badly. She is 9 months old. I just checked her and the bleeding had stopped but while I was holding her they started bleeding again. What is causing this? I don't want to put her back outside (she's in the basement) but I've never had one bleed so much from the base of feathers. She isn't molting. Is there something to give her to thicken her blood so she doesn't bleed so freely? I sprayed some stuff on her bottom to stop the bleeding but if she just bleeds while I am holding her, not sure if that will do the job.

Oh wow. I didn't have any problems after I first noticed mine. My guess... And hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in, is that some feathers got pulled and shes bleeding from there... I think if you make sure it is clean and let her be a while they should heal up. I would be sure to put blukote on them before putting her back with the flock. They may pick at it.

She's pretty bare on her bottom. I didn't see any lice/mites but I'm sure she has some bugs but just don't see any to cause her to pick at herself. She seems to feel fine and is eating good but I hate seeing all that blood. If she were a dog or cat, I could put one of those collars on her to prevent her from messing back there. Maybe she pulled out some fluff to go broody but her breed isn't supposed to do that and she isn't really exhibiting any behaviors to indicate that. She's bleeding just standing there or when I was holding her. I just took another chicken back out from the basement to the coop this morning when I saw this one. I was so shocked. One out; one in. I hate this part of raising chickens. It is so stressful.

Back
Top Bottom