Injured hen

Tanya L

Hatching
Feb 14, 2024
Hi all. A dog came into the yard and got hold of my chicken. Please see pic.
Should I try and treat it, or rather put her out of her misery? She is eating and moving about, but looking miserable.

Attachments

• IMG_2210.jpeg
    IMG_2210.jpeg
    571.6 KB · Views: 32
Sorry no one answered your thread during the night here. How is your hen doing now? She may be in shock for a bit of time. Is she drinking water or eating? Is she able to stand and walk? Keep her warm and in a quiet dim spot. Water with a tsp of sugar per 8 ounce cup or electrolytes would be good to offer up to her beak. For her wounds: Try to stop bleeding. Spray the wound with saline or a wound spray such as Vetericyn. Then apply plain Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment 2 times a day. Trim any feathers that get into the wound, so that you can see it better. Are any organs visible? Recovery is very possible unless internal organs were damaged. Let us know how she is doing.

Hi all. A dog came into the yard and got hold of my chicken. Please see pic.
Should I try and treat it, or rather put her out of her misery? She is eating and moving about, but looking miserable.
reminds me of Angel. I've already posted in a few threads, but long story short, chicken got bit by dog. wound was cleaned. wound healed on its own. her entire shoulder joint was showing, and despite having a literal bone sticking out, she was the queen of the flock and once tried to eat my eyes. keep it clean, away from other birds till it heals, and she probably won't die.

Sorry no one answered your thread during the night here. How is your hen doing now? She may be in shock for a bit of time. Is she drinking water or eating? Is she able to stand and walk? Keep her warm and in a quiet dim spot. Water with a tsp of sugar per 8 ounce cup or electrolytes would be good to offer up to her beak. For her wounds: Try to stop bleeding. Spray the wound with saline or a wound spray such as Vetericyn. Then apply plain Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment 2 times a day. Trim any feathers that get into the wound, so that you can see it better. Are any organs visible? Recovery is very possible unless internal organs were damaged. Let us know how she is doing.
Hi there. Thank you so much for your kind reply. We decided it best to put her down. I think she could have recovered, but we are going away and she wouldn't have gotten the care she deserved. Sad, but that is life. I choose this over her suffering.
Thanks for the reply!

Hi there. Thank you so much for your kind reply. We decided it best to put her down. I think she could have recovered, but we are going away and she wouldn't have gotten the care she deserved. Sad, but that is life. I choose this over her suffering.
Thanks for the reply!
Sorry for your loss. Do you know what predator got to her to cause the injury? I hope that any other chickens stay safe, since predators tend to come back.

The predator is a damn Yorkie of my neighbors, and this is the second chicken I have had to put down after an attack. So the neighbors have had their last "friendly warning" as well.
(Our property is fully fenced with electric fencing, but he comes through it!)

I have a yorkie, so that is unfortunate. They are so small they love when they can bully another small animal. Our golden retriever got a pullet who jumped over the fence into our yard, and we trained him and the other dogs not to go near any that came into our yard. It took exactly 2 shocks with a new shock collar with the dead chicken’s body. None of our 5 dogs so much as looked at a chicken after that. You might ask the neighbor if you can train the dog, rather than harm him.

Back
Top Bottom