Injured leg

Dalylah

Chirping
Jul 27, 2020
So yesterday my hen developed a limp on her right leg I saw no obvious injuries so I immediately worried about Mareks disease or egg bound but she laid an egg this morning so she wasn’t egg bound and her leg limp became a little worse and then I noticed it was swelling up just above the foot it is swollen but nothing seems broken what should I do just separate her and hope it heals on it’s own?

You might want to look at her footpad, do you see something like a dark scab there?
4EDCA74E-EC6C-4F59-B88A-30A6A971129C.jpeg
0B704E84-9C41-4D40-BC7A-4BEA0F0BB752.jpeg

The one on the left looking this way is the hurt one
4F6304B1-8977-4CAD-99F9-8EF523FB7610.jpeg

She might have stepped on something like a splinter of glass or similar. I would wash her foot and look again closely and feel too.

And feel her entire leg up to the hip if there is something warmer than the other side.

She might have stepped on something like a splinter of glass or similar. I would wash her foot and look again closely and feel too.

And feel her entire leg up to the hip if there is something warmer than the other side.
image.jpg

The elbow feels a tad warmer than everything else but no thing major. Could she have an infection?

You could apply some arnica or make an ACV dressing if she tolerates it.

Do not use any ointment containing pain reliever as chickens do not tolerate it.

And you could keep her in a wire crate with feed and water for a few days to give her leg some rest.

Back
Top Bottom