Injured Pullet- Ideas to get her to drink water

Araucana Nest

FreeBird
Aug 14, 2020
North Central Florida
It's bad but no internal injuries. The skin was torn off her neck, all around, about 3 inches long but nothing that goes in, just superficial which is horrific enough. It happened yesterday afternoon. I was so upset that I developed a migraine and only now can ask this question. I have aspirin in the water as well as rooster booster poultry cell. Problem is she won't drink. I elevated the drinking fount so she doesn't have to drop her head all the way down. She ate yesterday when she was in shock. I cleaned her up and applied an antibiotic ointment. But she won't drink. Any other way to get some aspirin into her? Or any topical pain relief I can apply? I've got a whole pharmacy here for my horses, cows, goats and dogs. Lots of stuff for chickens too but I read aspirin was effective and safe. She is standing and staying beneath the heat lamp inside my guest bedroom by herself.

I personally syringe water into their mouths if they're not drinking. You're supposed to hold their beak open and put the syringe all the way to one side to avoid the air opening in the middle. I don't hold their beak full open but just kinda pry the beak open enough to slide the syringe in and then aim for the side. Obviously seeing exactly what you're doing is safer, but I'm not that skilled or patient haha.

But before that you can try dribbling some on her beak to see if that prompts her to drink. I dont know if aspirin/rooster booster water tastes weird so maybe see if she'll drink plain water?

I personally syringe water into their mouths if they're not drinking. You're supposed to hold their beak open and put the syringe all the way to one side to avoid the air opening in the middle. I don't hold their beak full open but just kinda pry the beak open enough to slide the syringe in and then aim for the side. Obviously seeing exactly what you're doing is safer, but I'm not that skilled or patient haha.

But before that you can try dribbling some on her beak to see if that prompts her to drink. I dont know if aspirin/rooster booster water tastes weird so maybe see if she'll drink plain water?
Thanks. They usually like the rooster booster but don't know about the aspirin. I'm afraid to get any water into her lungs. I'll try the water droplets though ❤ 🙏

Thanks. They usually like the rooster booster but don't know about the aspirin. I'm afraid to get any water into her lungs. I'll try the water droplets though ❤ 🙏
If she refuses to drink for long enough, her need for water will trump the risk of aspiration, but you're definitely not there yet. I hope droplets work!

If she refuses to drink for long enough, her need for water will trump the risk of aspiration, but you're definitely not there yet. I hope droplets work!
putting the beak into the water usually activates swallowing reflexes just as good.

How do you know that she refuses to drink or eat? I have a thread somewhere about wry neck injured chicken that I thought was not eating/drinking at all for weeks, but apparently she only refused when the water/crumble was offered under the beak, while eating/drinking some while being alone and progressing over 2 months to full recovery.

Back
Top Bottom