Injured Quail Treatment

Aug 13, 2020
OMG, I am not having much luck with my Covey. After one gender-fluid-slightly-confused roo was bullied to death, it seemed like my male to female ratio was righted. All was well - UNTIL. Suddenly, Meryl Streep developed a blush and started humping everything that moved; Meryl is MERV. And now my prized and favourite silver roo, HiHo Silver, has been attacked. We’re pretty sure sure it was James Bond that did it - he’s a real bully and even attacks us. HiHo has a quite deep bloody wound on his side and quite a few feathers missing. I’ve isolated him in one of the nesting boxes for now. What should I do for his injuries? Should I try to bathe them with salty water, or just leave him be until he heals? I know I can’t put him back out there until I deal with Bond; he has to go! Please help me, experts!

Pictures would be very helpful. what kind quail is it? Spray vetericyn all over the wound if you have it. I have no experience with anything other than vetericyn. Quail usually go for the eyes and head so it might have been a predator, but I'm no expert in quail. I'm speaking from my own experience after 4 years of coturnix quail.

I’ve just put him to bed for the night, but I did end up using Betadine (an antiseptic safe for use on animals) and warm water to bathe his wound. It’s a sizeable wound on the left frontal neck region, definitely a pecking wound. My coop is predator-proof and raised off the ground. I trimmed all the broken feathers around it & the bleeding seems to have stopped. He’s got water, feed and fresh hay in the closed off nesting box, so I guess I’ll just check him in the morning and hope he’s doing ok?

That's about all you can do. in my first year of raising quail before I knew how vicious males could become I had a lot of injuries. I found that most of the time the quail would survive wounds like that. Just leave him for tonight and check him again in the morning.

Sounds like you've done the right things. He should heal up fine, but you should definitely separate your boys. You should have 1 roo to 3-5 hens, and only 1 per pen unless it's a large pen with lots of hiding places.

Back
Top Bottom