Injured Rabbit

heerchickchick

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 11, 2010
Lakeland Fl
I have an injured rabbit. somehow she managed to rip the skin off her nose and her front teeth are totally exposed. She is having a hard time eating. What can I use to clean the area and can I feed her baby food in a syringe?
If so what kind? I have been giving her water from a syringe and I crushed up rabbit pellets for her but I dont think she can eat it. I even added water to make a paste but she would fight me to get it in her and we ended up with a huge mess. I really cant afford to take her to the vet right now. She is a Florida wht rabbit about 12 wks old. Any suggestions about what to do?

This sounds so painful...Rinse the area carefully with warmed (not hot) sterile water. Then try applying honey (pure organic, and unpasteurized) to the area. It worked for a bunny's nose that we had bought with a hurt nose. There was no involvement of as extensive as yours. If the bunny is whimpering if you touch his nose/mouth, trylightly tribbling the honey over the area. Praying for a good recovering for your rabbit. Nancy

hiya, how it going with your rabbit?
as im sure you know bunny is going to get really sick if not getting adequate food and water. if it was me i would talk to the vet, explaining the situation and that you want to nurse her at home. see if they will get you some sterile saline and needle/syringe. if so you could give some fluids sub cut (under the skin) this will help correct the dehydration. they may be able to give you a pain relielf injection, to give to her. that may help with the eating, if she is not so sore.
there are food specically made for rabbits that are not eating, they are normally a powder that you mix with water, and then syringe it in. you could try blending some carrots (or whatever veg she likes) mix it with water till its soft enough to syringe in.
the wound will most likely heal quick, but imo its the not eating thats is going to be the main problem. as in rabbits they get gut stasis which can be very dangerous.
good luck with the bunny. keep us posted.
smile.png

It would help if you posted a picture so that we can see the extent of her injuries.

I have dealt with so many injuries at home and I know that a vet trip isn't always an option.

As for the food situation she needs a high fiber diet. Try mixing the pellets with a little bit of honey to make them sweeter and more enticing. As for baby food a bit of carnation rice cereal or malt o meal is a thing that generally works. Also try giving her nutrical or Catcal which are high protein, high electrolyte supplements. They come in a paste and are very easy to give. They will help with keeping her energy up.

Sanitize the area with just regular water for now. Try to avoid any Neosporin or other things like that, because they can be toxic if ingested. A bit of honey will surely help.

If the skin is truly torn away, or a flap of it is hanging around flopping, then you will want to reattach it if you can. Sounds like her upper lip is what was torn away and since you say her teeth are visible, then it sounds like a big chunk of skin is torn. If you are able to get the flap of skin back into its original position, then take some New Skin or superglue and glue the flap of skin back in place. Only use a little bit and be careful since it's not supposed to be ingested. This will help the skin to regrow, since it may not be dead skin.

Best of luck and be sure to post a picture if you can since it will really help us to help you.

Thanks for your help..she is doing better and able to eat somwhat on her own..I started by handfeeding her pellets dipped in water to help soften them up a little. once you get them in her mouth she seems to chew just fine. she is till having a little difficulty getting the pellets in her mouth..but she manages..I feel bad she has to work so hard. I help her out as much as possible tho.
smile.png
Breathing is still rattlely sounding. Its all scabbing over, but I dont think it will ever be normal looking again. Although she is a fighter and its seems like an amazing healer.

Back
Top Bottom