Injured testies 😫😫HEEEEELLLLP!!!!!!😫😫

Lilchknmomma

Songster
Aug 12, 2020
My Peter is 2yrs old great breeder. Today my daughter put him out in the pen with our female and we stepped away for a min to come back and find him like this!!!(pic attached) I cleaned it up as best I could trimmed away any excess fur near the site. It’s really red but not bleeding as much as you would expect and the little blood it’s letting out is light pinkish color. He’s super mellow so handling him isn’t an issue I’ve touched it gently quite a bit while cleaning and he doesn’t even flinch. It appears his sack was torn open and the testie is just hanging out. I want to put antibiotic ointment but since it’s not bothering him I want to let him be. I’ve been checking on him and he licks it and is keeping it clean himself and is eating and drinking water just fine. He doesn’t have fever or show any signs of being in pain but the testie itself is cold to the touch. I usually use Nustock but don’t want to put any on him until he gets better at least scabs or something. I can’t afford to take him to the vet and my assumption is that this is mayyyyyy potentially happen in the wild and they figure it out..right?😓 I figure I keep his cage and wounds as clean as I can while letting him do what he needs to do to heal. I plan on trimming dead meat away as it dies, there’s a tiny bit of dying skin at the tip(or end) I’ll start there and keep everyone updated any advice is greatly appreciated 🙏🏼

Attachments

• 6E494C7D-476A-4626-8FA7-CD274DB4DE56.jpeg
    6E494C7D-476A-4626-8FA7-CD274DB4DE56.jpeg
    433.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 0A97DE49-7749-40D1-873F-9EBB92EF97B5.jpeg
    0A97DE49-7749-40D1-873F-9EBB92EF97B5.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 769BF203-77E7-4A38-BD58-1596B907C223.jpeg
    769BF203-77E7-4A38-BD58-1596B907C223.jpeg
    303 KB · Views: 18
  • 35D12E0E-2DA5-4497-9722-28F353EC4761.jpeg
    35D12E0E-2DA5-4497-9722-28F353EC4761.jpeg
    418.1 KB · Views: 23
I am not experienced with this, but that needs veterinary help ASAP. Even if you just call them like suggested above. I get that it "can" happen in the wild, but that doesn't mean that those rabbits survive or continue to breed. Thats how it works. If your to weak, or are stupid enough to get yourself hurt, you don't get to continue breeding since the rabbit population doesn't want those genes in their offspring.
I'm not sure if having him licking it is a good thing. I know with other animal injuries, licking can irritate the area and postpone healing, so not sure if its the same thing.

That is actually a serious injury. I know you cannot afford a vet but....calling them is free.

If you have a vet you normally use that would be my first call to see if there is any way they can help.
I called around and all advised that it would be best to bring him in but with only a few mins until they close & aren’t open again until Monday and the low cost vet close by only sees cats and dogs. I’ll be able to take him in Monday with Gods will my pay check will cover it

I am not experienced with this, but that needs veterinary help ASAP. Even if you just call them like suggested above. I get the it "can" happen in the wild, but that doesn't mean that those rabbits survive or continue to breed. Thats how it works. If your to weak, or are stupid enough to get yourself hurt, you don't get to continue breeding.
I'm not sure if having him licking it is a goo thing. I know with other animal injuries, licking can irritate the area and postpone healing, so not sure if its the same thing.
I’ve been keeping an eye on him to make sure he isn’t over doing it with licking I was thinking of putting a diaper on him and changing his as often as needed until I can get him to the vet Monday

Back
Top Bottom