Injured turkey

barryj

Hatching
Dec 22, 2015
Hello everyone! New to the site and I am in a bit of a panic over my hen turkey. I have one hen and 5 toms. They are 6-1/2 months old. The hen and one tome are heritage bronze and the other 4 toms are heritage bronze/spanish crosses. Recently the toms began "mounting" the hen. She laid her first egg yesterday! Today I noticed that she is sliced up pretty good on one side. I am assuming it's from the toms mounting her. At this point I am aware that they should have their nails clipped, (wish I knew that a few days ago!). Anyway, my question is how to treat her injuries? Is there a suggested topical antibiotic to use or what? I hate to see her get sick as she is my only hen and a very sweet animal. Anyone who has turkeys can tell you how they love to spend time with you, almost like puppies.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Barry

Hello everyone! New to the site and I am in a bit of a panic over my hen turkey. I have one hen and 5 toms. They are 6-1/2 months old. The hen and one tome are heritage bronze and the other 4 toms are heritage bronze/spanish crosses. Recently the toms began "mounting" the hen. She laid her first egg yesterday! Today I noticed that she is sliced up pretty good on one side. I am assuming it's from the toms mounting her. At this point I am aware that they should have their nails clipped, (wish I knew that a few days ago!). Anyway, my question is how to treat her injuries? Is there a suggested topical antibiotic to use or what? I hate to see her get sick as she is my only hen and a very sweet animal. Anyone who has turkeys can tell you how they love to spend time with you, almost like puppies.
  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Barry 

Welcome to BYC!
Clean wound with chlorhexadine or diluted betadine and pluck feathers 1/2" back from wound edge. Can you post some pictures?

-Kathy

Last edited:
Check the cattle and horse sections for Novalsan (chlorhexadine). If they don't have it, I guess you could try Vetericyn.

-Kathy

Kathy,
Here is a pic of the wound and the only thing I can find to treat it. Apparently I have to separate her from the boys but, it's looking like a trip to the vet may be in order as well. These are my first turkeys so I am totally ignorant when it comes to them being injured. To make matters worse, finding a local Vet to take them to is a nightmare! On the plus side, the hen is acting completely normal and she is not in the least bit sensitive to the injury. We are having a little battle over her nesting box at the moment too. She is actively looking for a place to lay so I moved the box to where she laid the first one. I guess we'll see what happens.
I truly appreciate all of your help with this!
Barry

Back
Top Bottom