Injured week old duckling

Aromeo

In the Brooder
Oct 22, 2023
Hi, I have a barely week old (will be a week tomorrow) cayuga duckling that last night was fine and this morning is limping and hock joint is swollen. She can get over to the food and water and I made sure she ate, drank and pooped. They are being fed Mazuri waterfowl starter (so would not think niacin deficiency). No clue what happened overnight. Her eyes are definitely not as bright and I know she's in some pain. Being so young (and it's a group of just two ducklings and a gosling) so I don't want to stress her more by separating. I tried vet wrapping and the others and her were pecking at it so took it back off... how worried should I be? They will not be on a pond when older just a pool w steps to get to it (ie they will never need to be super strong swimmers). Concerned about the eyes(which seem to be improving w some sleep) and limp(main concern)Thank you!

Attachments

• 20231022_073204.jpg
    20231022_073204.jpg
    559.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20231022_091843_resized.jpg
    20231022_091843_resized.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231022_091832.jpg
    20231022_091832.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
poor sweet baby duck, so cute <3
I dont know if theres any kind of disease that would affect the eyes and legs at the same time? Perhaps @Miss Lydia knows.
But hopefully not and its just a coincidence? so for her eyes I would rinse them with saline, and then use terramycin eye ointment, they sell it at TSC in the dog section.
And for her leg can you get a picture holding her with both her legs hanging down in front to see if theres any difference
I know mazuri is a great feed(I use it too)
but I would still give her some liquid b complex to help it heal
You can put some on a little dish of treats like meal worms
I know adult ducks get 1 ml but not sure how much to give a duckling - maybe 1/4 to 1/2 ml? it wont hurt if she gets a little too much though.
and make sure there is chick grit available on the side

So although most waterfowl feeds say they have niacin etc, I find that more times than not growing ducklings need extra niacin. You can add it by sprinkling nutritional yeast over your feed for regular upkeep, but this duckling clearly seems to need a bit more. The liquid vitamin b used for ducklings is actually an injectable for cattle, but you can give it orally. I think I did either a 1/2 ml or a full 1ml for my duckling with similar issues. For the eyes, yes flush with saline and do the Terramycin, but I would first make sure the water dishes are deep enough to dunk it’s head (not for it to get its whole body in) and you can even use a damp lukewarm rag to hold on their to maybe loosen that goop. Do NOT use hot water because that could hurt the little baby, even room temperature water would be better than too hot. Good luck with this baby, and yes get pictures of the baby standing/ or you holding it so we can see the legs next to each other. If you gently try flexing the leg can it bend?

Yes to all the above. They have two waterers they can get their heads in and the little dish I put out this morning so she could eat/drink laying down if needed. They have access to grit, and chopped hay, and have the electrolyte mix in their water from the hatchery (murray). I can Def add some more vit b no issue picking that up! Eye does look better...as I've been obsessively checking her the last five hours!

She can bend and straighten it, cannot put much weight on it or weight for long on it.
And photos of them hanging she basically just said no leave me alone and was peddling them both like crazy lol so hopefully this means "leave me alone human ill heal up!"

Attachments

• 20231022_111859.jpg
    20231022_111859.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Could she have gotten stepped on? She def needs liquid BComplex it has all the niacin she needs . As for her eyes are they runny or matted? There is Terramycin eye ointment that is good for eye problems.

you could also let her swim in lukewarm water in the bathtub, but just enough water so her legs can touch the bottom still, swimming takes a lot of that pressure off those joints

Could she have gotten stepped on? She def needs liquid BComplex it has all the niacin she needs . As for her eyes are they runny or matted? There is Terramycin eye ointment that is good for eye problems.
Eyes are starting to look better...the one was gooped shut this morning. Did some water to clean it (sop for all the other farm animals i work with, this is my first go with ducklings!) Gave her (and the other duckling and gosling) all some vit b orally and also got some supplement to add to their water as well... I want to say she had a bit more grip in her foot when I was just tucking everyone in for the night. Appreciate all the help and am hoping to wake to a more bright eyed sound footed girl in the morning! (She's a bit over my obsessing today)

Be careful giving liquids by mouth it is easy to cause them to aspirate.

Good news to hear she is doing better. For the swelling you could do Epsom salt wraps using warm Epsom salt water soaking a soft cloth wring out so it's not dripping then wrap the leg until the cloth starts to cool.

Back
Top Bottom