Injured

hossdaddy82

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2022
Her eyes are closed and she's bleeding. Possibly got injured from one of the young turkeys. Other chickens have picked. She doesn't move much. Should I dispatch? She is separated.
20230727_170314.jpg

As bad as the injury looks, with time and treatment it can heal. If you want to help her live, flush and clean the wound with Hibicens or saline solution, then generously coat the wound with triple antibiotic ointment (without painkiller) or Vetericyn spray. You will need to keep the wound continually coated and moist or it won't heal properly. Fly strike is a real threat this time of year, so you will also need to keep her somewhere where flies can't lay eggs in the wound. (Coating the wound with medication will also help keep flies away.) She will need to be kept separate from the rest of the flock, or they will continue to peck the wound until they kill her. It will take several weeks for skin to regrow. At the point it heals enough to scab over, there is a product called Blu-Kote that will hide the healing wound so she can rejoin the flock. But Blu-kote should not be applied to raw tissue, so it will be some time before you can use that.

I would also treat her for shock, same as one would after any predator attack. Mix one teaspoon of sugar into one cup of water, and add a pinch of salt and baking soda. Mix well and let that be the only source of drinking water for the next 24 hours. If you don't have all the ingredients, just the sugar and water will suffice.

As bad as the injury looks, with time and treatment it can heal. If you want to help her live, flush and clean the wound with Hibicens or saline solution, then generously coat the wound with triple antibiotic ointment (without painkiller) or Vetericyn spray. You will need to keep the wound continually coated and moist or it won't heal properly. Fly strike is a real threat this time of year, so you will also need to keep her somewhere where flies can't lay eggs in the wound. (Coating the wound with medication will also help keep flies away.) She will need to be kept separate from the rest of the flock, or they will continue to peck the wound until they kill her. It will take several weeks for skin to regrow. At the point it heals enough to scab over, there is a product called Blu-Kote that will hide the healing wound so she can rejoin the flock. But Blu-kote should not be applied to raw tissue, so it will be some time before you can use that.

I would also treat her for shock, same as one would after any predator attack. Mix one teaspoon of sugar into one cup of water, and add a pinch of salt and baking soda. Mix well and let that be the only source of drinking water for the next 24 hours. If you don't have all the ingredients, just the sugar and water will suffice.
Thank you for the information. I will try that. I don't know if her eyes will be permanently closed or not. They are closed right now. This is the first I've had this problem

Thank you for the information. I will try that. I don't know if her eyes will be permanently closed or not. They are closed right now. This is the first I've had this problem
Is she eating and drinking at all, or just sitting in a corner with her eyes closed all the time? Have you been able to clean and medicate her wound since you first posted? If you haven't done anything to treat her yet, it may be best to euthanize her and end her suffering. She needed/will need fairly intensive care for approx. 2 weeks after the injury occurred. But only you can make that decision, since only you are there to assess her condition in person.

Is she eating and drinking at all, or just sitting in a corner with her eyes closed all the time? Have you been able to clean and medicate her wound since you first posted? If you haven't done anything to treat her yet, it may be best to euthanize her and end her suffering. She needed/will need fairly intensive care for approx. 2 weeks after the injury occurred. But only you can make that decision, since only you are there to assess her condition in person.
Yes I've been treating her wounds. Her eyes are shut and I'm wondering if they're dried shut. I thought about using a warm rag.

Yes I've been treating her wounds. Her eyes are shut and I'm wondering if they're dried shut. I thought about using a warm rag.
Try putting a warm compress on her eyes. Make sure it's not too hot by putting it on your wrist before putting it on her face. Hold it there until the cloth cools and try to loosen anything that you see on her eye lid.

Any updates on your girl?
Also. Out of curiosity for the other people who responded and suggested blu cote-

May I ask why that is your go to, instead of no peck?
Also purple, but thicker and does a better job also keeping flies away - also used for a more minor wound/ after quite a bit of healing.
https://www.chewy.com/rooster-boost...s_0jz_mt7OVWh1mN79kvRheBzRDaiUX8aAunKEALw_wcB
I’ve tried both... but I like the “lotion” better in most cases....

Interested in thoughts / feedback...
* I am not trying to hijack the thread- I feel like it would be a helpful addition to the OP as well as anyone else trying to solve a similar problem *

Back
Top Bottom