Injuries... plz help

Thank you for all the good advice i got right away. Our jersey girl with the back torn up did not make it. 😢 she was such a sweet girl.
now i have questions about my white brahma girl. 1) All of her feathers are gone over her entire back down to only 2 tail feathers left. When i say GONE.. i mean slick.. plucked cleaner than a baking hen ready to go in the oven. Does this mean the quills are gone and she will never grow back feathers? There is no way she can make winter in the coop this "nekkid" ... would a sadle apron even be enough help? It will be some time before she will go back to the others... maybe we can figure something out??
2) she will not eat? She is drinking lots... but wont eat. Tried her normal food and fermented food (which she normally loves) so just now i decided to take her favorite junk food treat to her. Placed 2 raisins in my hand, stretched my hand out in front of her and she grabbed those 2 raisins faster than i could blink. Then started tilting her head side to side looking at me like... THAT IS WHAT I WANT... GIVE ME MORE! I did not give her more.. tried to get her to eat her food... but she doesnt want it?? How long will she live on water only?
She has never been alone, could that be why she wont eat? And i worry she will get too lonely! Thanks all!
Sorry about the black girl. Give the other one whatever she will eat. The feathers will grow back. My Americauna was attacked last month & his feathers are partway grown back. Also I gave him an epsom salt bath on a warm day after the wounds were closed. He had been limping badly and the epsom salts helped him a lot.

AFAIK antibiotic treatments are usually 10 days.

Sorry about the black girl. Give the other one whatever she will eat. The feathers will grow back. My Americauna was attacked last month & his feathers are partway grown back. Also I gave him an epsom salt bath on a warm day after the wounds were closed. He had been limping badly and the epsom salts helped him a lot.

AFAIK antibiotic treatments are usually 10 days.
Thank you

I wonder do you just have the two Chickens or just them attacked. ?
You have been given wonderful advice other wise.

I wonder do you just have the two Chickens or just them attacked. ?
You have been given wonderful advice other wise.
Just the 2 attacked. We had 4 buff orpingtons, 4 lt brahma, 4 black jersey giants. Lost one black jersey last night. Not sure how this will end up with my brahma? Cant get her to eat. But she drinks. Our boy is a lt brahma.
Got them all as day old chicks the same day. They have neve been apart. That is why i worry about her being alone now!

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!
Finally got her to eat! I scrambled a medium size egg. When i first gave it to her she wouldnt touch it.. i would put a little in my hand... she ate it.. after several times getting small pieces from my hand i put the dish in front of her.. picked up a few pieces while she watched... she ate from my hand.. then looked at the dish and began eating from the dish!!! She ate the whole thing and kept looking at me like she wanted more! But i didnt let her have it... she has 2 kinds of feed and water and she can eat if she wants it. But am definitely feeding her a scrambled egg for breakfast! 😉 thank you everyone!! Nite all.

The boy’s sweatshirts may work if the material is a little stretchy. Polar fleece was pretty stretchy. Amoxicillin dosage can be up to 250 mg (or 57 mg per pound) twice a day, given orally for 7-10 days.
CORRECTION!
i gave you the wrong name on the medication!! What i have been giving her is AQUA-CEPH which is cephalexin 250mg capsule.
i am so sorry! It was discussed when getting antibotics whether the fish mox or aqua ceph would be used. In my old mind i told you the wrong one. Please give me dosage and length of time she needs this. She has puncture wounds that I fear cant be cleaned properly and antibiotics are crucial!
Thank so much! Again i am sorry i gave you wrong info!

Back
Top Bottom