Injury and trouble standing

Frecklesbutnice

Hatching
Aug 24, 2022
One of our hens has a drooping wing and is having trouble standing. Her head was bleeding when I found her, which might have come from the flock, or she might have been attacked by something.

I don’t think her legs are injured, but when I set her on her feet she falls backwards onto her bum and then falls to her side or back. I’ve wrapped her wing close to her body in case it’s broken.

She did eat yesterday and seemed energetic. I’m just at a loss for how to care for her since I’m not sure what’s going on.

I don't know how to best advise you, but want to follow your story. I currently have a young rooster in isolation due to a suspected leg injury - he had trouble standing when I found him, bleeding comb, and fell over to his side when I put him on his feet. It's been several days and he's standing okay, but still walks a little wonky and is prone to lose his balance and fall over.

It's probably best for her to keep her in isolation, warm and dry, where she can eat, drink and not be bothered by other chickens........ until you can get some better advice here. Good luck!

Thanks for responding. It’s just nice to not be alone!

I’ve got her inside the house and I’ve stabilized her with a blanket. She’s eating and drinking electrolyte water and seems energetic. She’ll try and get up and immediately fall over. Even when she’s just sitting it’s like she’s wobbling a little, so I wrapped her up and supported her, but she occasionally will still try to get up and move around. One of her feet occasionally curls closed too, like she can’t control it.

Do you have any pictures of her injuries? Could she have been injured by the flock because she was having balance or walking issues? They will sometimes attack a flock member if they are acting strangely or showing signs of weakness. Saline, chlorhexidene, or a wound spray such as Vetericyn can be used to clean wounds, and then when dried, use some plain antibiotic ointment on wounds twice a day. I would statrt some human B or super B comlpex vitamins 1/2 tablet daily crushed into a spoonful of water or in food.

A chicken sling chair might help to get her upright and in front of food, and help to keep her more clean. Here are some examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Back
Top Bottom