Injury and trouble standing

Do you have any pictures of her injuries? Could she have been injured by the flock because she was having balance or walking issues? They will sometimes attack a flock member if they are acting strangely or showing signs of weakness. Saline, chlorhexidene, or a wound spray such as Vetericyn can be used to clean wounds, and then when dried, use some plain antibiotic ointment on wounds twice a day. I would statrt some human B or super B comlpex vitamins 1/2 tablet daily crushed into a spoonful of water or in food.

A chicken sling chair might help to get her upright and in front of food, and help to keep her more clean. Here are some examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
I think that sling will be so helpful. I’ve had her wrapped and propped up by a towel, but a sling design with a poop hole will keep her cleaner.
It’s possible her injuries came from the flock, but I’m not 100% sure. I’ve found her outside the coop once or twice when I go to close the door and make sure everyone is in at night. I wasn’t watching closely the night before I found her hurt and just quickly closed up the coop. When I let everyone out in the morning, I wasn’t sure if she came out with everyone else or came from behind the coop. If she was out all night it could have been a neighborhood cat. I feel so bad if it happened because I was just not paying close attention.

She is eating and drinking well and has good energy, but really isn’t steady on her feet.

I’ll see if I can get some pictures of her injuries.

I’ve found her outside the coop once or twice when I go to close the door and make sure everyone is in at night. I wasn’t watching closely the night before I found her hurt and just quickly closed up the coop.
Lessons learned, I know too well. Just a few days ago, when checking the run before closing up the coop, I shone the flashlight under the camper coop - and spotted a possum hiding there. (He's been dispatched appropriately.) THIS after months - no, years - of shining that light under the coop and only twice finding a chicken trying to roost underneath. It's become a habit, even after hundreds of days of finding nothing. Still, the daily reminder of finding raccoon tracks inside the run keeps me checking every. single. night. (Apparently, they can climb an 8' high chain link fence.)

I attended a white elephant gift exchange Christmas party this evening. The other guests seemed amused that I got so excited about receiving a flashlight in my gift. :celebrate Woohoo! Never have enough of these! Sucker is damn bright, too! They'd understand if they could see me crawling on my hands and knees in the mud and chicken poop with that flashlight to peer under my coop.

UPDATE! I’m really happy to share that the chicken is walking around again! I kept her in the sling for honestly probably about 5 weeks to give her time to heal. And then one morning when I got home she had climbed out of the sling and was walking around my living room.
She’s still not strong enough to jump up onto the roost, so I’m keeping her separated from the flock still. But she’s recovering! I was so torn for a while and wondered if it was futile trying to help her. But she’s doing really well! Thank you for your suggestions and support.

Back
Top Bottom