Injury - Any advice?

mykel

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 29, 2015
Coosa, Georgia
My pet turkey was injured a month ago when got mauled by my puppy. Her neck was ripped open and we didn’t think she would live. Blu-Kote and iodine worked wonders and she started to heal, skin growing back and she was acting fine. The spinal cord “sack” was intact (think turkey neck when you buy a frozen turkey). Her neck, however, was still exposed. She got a tiny nic from my male turkey that popped that protective sack. Now it is either herniated or infected. Has anyone dealt with something like this? Any advice?
9F821658-8948-4F72-B7AA-EBFC6CD12A46.jpeg

You could put a whole ton of non pain releaving antibiotic ointment on, in, and around the whole injury. I had a chicken who had the whole back of her neck and hear torn off to the skull and spine,that's what I did and she made it. The ointment will also keep it moist if it's the baseline kind. If it gets better with the ointment it was infected that's how I tell at least. What ever you do, good luck and I hope it helps!

You could put a whole ton of non pain releaving antibiotic ointment on, in, and around the whole injury. I had a chicken who had the whole back of her neck and hear torn off to the skull and spine,that's what I did and she made it. The ointment will also keep it moist if it's the baseline kind. If it gets better with the ointment it was infected that's how I tell at least. What ever you do, good luck and I hope it helps!
Would you also recommend wrapping it? I feel like keeping it moist would attract gnats.

With a wound like that, I would be tempted to use the Vetericyn gel..it works pretty well I think.
Vetericyn plus antimicrobial gel - most farm stores will have it or get it from Amazon

Would you also recommend wrapping it? I feel like keeping it moist would attract gnats.
If it will stay on. If not I cover the whole area in and around the wound with vasiline. It keeps flys out so I would assume it works for gnats too they might just stick to it. Good luck !

Back
Top Bottom