Injury, Canker, or Oral Yeast infection?

This is true for humans, but not chickens. For chickens, it's a specific disease or an injury.
Respiratory diseases in humans can be treated and cured. Chickens can be treated, but are never cured of the disease. They remain carriers for life and will spread the disease to other birds, including canker mainly via waterers in this instance if in fact it's canker.

Canker is a generic nomenclature. A split lip also generic nomenclature. But the causes of canker and split lips are shared between species and are outside the organism.

So I agree "split lip" sounds idiotic, but reading the causes of split lip (because the wound looks identical) is dehydration. Canker is a very generic term doesn't really indicate causes.

So maybe she is dehydrated. Is MI not obscenly cold this time of year?

Screenshot_20220129-165947_Chrome.jpg

Canker is a generic nomenclature. A split lip also generic nomenclature. But the causes of canker and split lips are shared between species and are outside the organism.

So I agree "split lip" sounds idiotic, but reading the causes of split lip (because the wound looks identical) is dehydration. Canker is a very generic term doesn't really indicate causes.

View attachment 2977099
Chicken canker is different from what humans get.

View attachment 2977099
Yes, Michigan is very cold this year, & I have built up a tolerance to the coldness.

My bird doesn't have a split lip. Never once had a chicken with a split lip.

View attachment 2977099
Canker⏬
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/trichomonosis/trichomonosis

Yes, Michigan is very cold this year, & I have built up a tolerance to the coldness.

My bird doesn't have a split lip. Never once had a chicken with a split lip.
Ok but to even begin treating you can treat easy things like make sure she is not dehydrated, provide a vitamin B supplement, and maybe even try an ointment on the wound. In the past three days you could have been doing these things and reporting back her status if has improved.

This thread is gone nowhere. It is likely dehydration and vitamin deficiency, both causes of split lip, but you or your chicken never had it, even though she does have it (clearly shown in the picture). So good luck with finding the cause and hope it improves and not a virus or something else that is much more difficult to treat.

Its called a perleche or angular chelitis. Causes can be any of the things in your title (candida, thrush, canker, etc), but also dry chapping, vitamin deficiency, iron deficiency, old age, etc. The later the stage the disease gets, the more it becomes fungal and bacterial. So your waiting almost is worse.

So its frustrating to not treat the easy things and argue semantics. Its even more frustrating to hear its different in humans and chickens.

Since when is a fungus not a fungus? Is there a human fungus and chicken fungus? Since when is a human bacterial infection so different from a chicken bacterial infection? The home treatments for perleche is lip balm, petroleum jelly, or cocunut oil. The longer it goes untreated, and the underlying condition (dehydration, vit deficiency, iron deficiency, old age) goes untreated, it will become fungal and bacterial.

Id say at this late stage you are now treating a fungus and hipefully its not worsening. Is your hen an older hen? Maybe its age related.

Screenshot_20220130-225330_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220130-224959_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220130-224334_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220130-224941_Chrome.jpg

Canker is a very generic term doesn't really indicate causes.
I can appreciate where you're coming from and I agree that both "canker" and "split lip" are generic terms when it comes to referencing conditions in humans.
I'm not understanding why you are so upset though.

"Canker" (Trichomonosis) in poultry (fowl) is caused by flagellated protozoa. Treatment for Canker requires medication that will treat bacterial and parasitic infections, so Metronidazole is commonly used.

Thrush, Yeast Infection...in poultry is commonly treated with antifungal/antiyeast medications - Miconazole, Clotrimazole, Nystatin, etc.

The OP has been given suggestions, info and also the internet to discover and search out even more info. It's up to them to determine what, if any, action or course of treatment they deem necessary.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom