Injury? On Roo's leg

Bookworm0124

Songster
Mar 30, 2018
New England
Noticed this on my boys feet this morning. He's been walking a little more tenderly lately but I thought that was maybe due to growing new feathers on his feet and legs. I'll try to get better pictures but he is not a cuddly boy. Any ideas what's going on?
He's the only one with any suspicious looking legs.

Attachments

• C1B1610A-D780-42EB-AC90-83937501296A.jpeg
    C1B1610A-D780-42EB-AC90-83937501296A.jpeg
    564.8 KB · Views: 5
  • AEC96B0E-FA6F-4B39-8DAE-17CAD990B52B.jpeg
    AEC96B0E-FA6F-4B39-8DAE-17CAD990B52B.jpeg
    389.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 3FB90B1B-10D4-4D81-80C4-CE3C5C2A1A67.jpeg
    3FB90B1B-10D4-4D81-80C4-CE3C5C2A1A67.jpeg
    507.6 KB · Views: 5
Poor guy!
I would look at the bottom of his feet too when you get a chance. It looks like he may have a couple of broken feathers on his outer toes, those may be paining him. The scales are also slightly raised - hard to know if that's from the feather shafts or the starting of Scaly Leg Mites.
If he were mine, I would give feet a good soak in a warm epsom salts bath, dry well, then apply some type of oil (your choice) Vaseline, A+D ointment, Coconut oil, Castor oil, etc. Work the oil underneath and into the scales. The oil will smother mites if that's the cause and hopefully will be soothing as well.
upload_2019-9-3_14-36-11.png

Poor guy!
I would look at the bottom of his feet too when you get a chance. It looks like he may have a couple of broken feathers on his outer toes, those may be paining him. The scales are also slightly raised - hard to know if that's from the feather shafts or the starting of Scaly Leg Mites.
If he were mine, I would give feet a good soak in a warm epsom salts bath, dry well, then apply some type of oil (your choice) Vaseline, A+D ointment, Coconut oil, Castor oil, etc. Work the oil underneath and into the scales. The oil will smother mites if that's the cause and hopefully will be soothing as well.
View attachment 1897365
Thanks. Suggestions on how to do that with a rooster I've never touched? Lol

Thanks. Suggestions on how to do that with a rooster I've never touched? Lol
Well...you are in for an adventure :lol:

It would be nice if you have a helper. Wait until after dark and he's roosting. Take him off the roost. Swaddle him in a towel to secure his wings - not too tight you don't want to suffocate him (LOL) The water doesn't have to be deep, just enough to cover the feet.
He may get super stressed, so take it slow and talk soothingly to him.
While you have him wrapped, it would be good to inspect the bottom of the feet too, maybe look around the vent for any signs of lice/mites - might as well cover all your bases while you have his attention:)

I handle my roosters quite a bit and they seem to like the attention (boys!), I hope yours does too. You may find that he calms pretty quickly and you have no problems. Let me know how it goes.

I took another look today and I can actually see feathers starting to peek out. Poor guy. He's getting some extra meal worms today. If he doesn't give them to his girls that is.

Back
Top Bottom