Injury or bumblefoot?

Hils Half Acre

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 4, 2014
Spokane Valley Washington
Hi again,

Last week I noticed that our little brood had outgrown their feeder so I put the long metal type feeder in with them as a supplement. I had used it before with much smaller chicks and had some foot injuries but assumed that since these guys are quite a bit older that it wouldn't become an issue... maybe their feet are tougher was my thought....

Anyways we were out with them yesterday and noticed that a large number of the birds have something wrong with the bottom of their feet... could it bee the feeder again or is it something that has been going on longer and I just didn't notice? How should I treat it? Will it clear its self up?

The issues initially looks like they have stuff stuck to the bottom of their feet but as we clean it off it seems to be attached and then it will start bleeding if we play with it too much.

That looks like a mild case of bumblefoot to me. It occurs when birds walk on hard-packed surface and their footpad dries out and then a pus-filled callus forms, so it could be the feeder, but I'm not sure. It's more prevalent in larger, and older birds.

To treat, remove any core or pus from the pad, wash area throughly, and clean it with a bacteriode. It also helps to place an infected bird alone with easy access to feed and water until it gets back on its feet

Thanks guys... After a nice long soak in some water it seems as tho most the prob was prob just prolonged time in wet bedding... We were able to scrape most of the crud off w out any bleeding... We put neosporin and some wrap on everyone who needed a scraping just to be sure... I think they're all going to be perfectly fine... We've already made adjustments to the coop so moisture will no longer be an issue.

Thanks for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom