Injury to 5 day old duckling

BIRDGIRL79

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 27, 2015
West Virginia (WV)
So I have a chicken coop and duck enclosure that share a fence separating the 2. My 2 female pekins hatched only 2 ducklings. I kept the moms and babies in the duck house. There's a small Crack in the door that I had blocked with a board. Somehow the board got moved. One duckling squeezed out and ran straight to the fence and stuck it's head and wing through the chicken wire and then started screaming which attracted the attention of the 8 chickens on the other side of the fence. I immediately ran down and got the duckling but it's injuries were pretty extensive. I figured it wouldn't live even on the way back to the house, but we're going on 12 hours and it's still alive. It's drinking but pretty wobbly but can walk. It had a good size pecking wound behind its right eye and the side of its neck was rupped open. Now that it's survived the initial trauma I'm tryin to figure out what antibiotic to give a now 6 day old duckling.

Sadly maybe it's in lots of pain and putting it down might be its best choice? Sorry that happened..
Seems to be in better condition today. Less active than the other duckling but doesn't appear to be in a lot of pain. I'm trying to keep the stress it experiences to a minimum. As long as it has the will to live I'll keep trying to help it. If it's just suffering I will let it go.

What have you cleaned the wound with? Do you have Vetrycin spray for wounds and infections? @BIRDGIRL79
What have you cleaned the wound with? Do you have Vetrycin spray for wounds and infections? @BIRDGIRL79

I just applied pressure with a damp cloth. The bleeding stopped and has now dried. I haven't put anything on it. I was hesitant to yesterday because it was definitely in shock and I thought it was best to let it rest in a quiet room with a heat lamp. Also it's head wound goes into its eye so I'm afraid I will cause more pain. I do not have any sprays. I planned on going to tractor supply once I had an idea of what people have had success using on such little birds.

Try natural remedies, added topically and to its water.
Natural honey is good for wound healing, and good for delayed shock... add some diluted in some warm water to its drinking water.
Also, bathe the wound with a dilute solution of salt and first aid style disinfectant... before applying that honey.
Manukau Honey is used on wounds for human patients, when they don't heal the conventional way re antibiotics.
Hope this helps.
(Shock and infection can be helped by honey.) Home remedy with 1000 of years use.

These are the ducklings today. The one that was pecked so badly is on the right. It's a female. Her eye functions normally although there is some scarring around it.

Attachments

• 20190728_192518.jpg
    20190728_192518.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 7
I would hate for it to die from a secondary infection after surviving the attack. I've given Baytril to an older duck but it's prescription only. Wondering if anyone has given any otc antibiotics to ducklings this small and if so what dose
Baytril is available without a prescription, and it would be very easy to calculate a dose for a small one, but you would have to order it. Do you have any human or pet antibiotics, like amoxicillin, augmentin, Clavamox, cipro? Those would work too. If you don't have those, what OTC ones can you get?

Baytril is available without a prescription, and it would be very easy to calculate a dose for a small one, but you would have to order it. Do you have any human or pet antibiotics, like amoxicillin, augmentin, Clavamox, cipro? Those would work too. If you don't have those, what OTC ones can you get?
I have human augmentin, we'll the generic. It's in tablet form

Back
Top Bottom