Injury to a 1 month old pullet

Hensofthehill

Songster
Oct 20, 2021
Northern Minnesota, USA
Hello everyone,

Few days ago I was feeding a group of pullets that I hatched this spring and one of them was behind me, picking something in the dirt. I didnt notice him and stepped on him…. That was so bad, I felt horrible!

Pullets eye swell up and I just let him be thinking everything will be allright. Now 3 days later the eye is not swollen anymore, but the beak is not lining up, other than that seems to be very active and social.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions what should I do with the beak situation, would it have a good quality of life like that?

Thank you so much in advance for any suggestions or comments.

Attachments

• IMG_3661.jpeg
    IMG_3661.jpeg
    349 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3659.jpeg
    IMG_3659.jpeg
    413.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3657.jpeg
    IMG_3657.jpeg
    436.9 KB · Views: 11
Hello everyone,

Few days ago I was feeding a group of pullets that I hatched this spring and one of them was behind me, picking something in the dirt. I didnt notice him and stepped on him…. That was so bad, I felt horrible!

Pullets eye swell up and I just let him be thinking everything will be allright. Now 3 days later the eye is not swollen anymore, but the beak is not lining up, other than that seems to be very active and social.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions what should I do with the beak situation, would it have a good quality of life like that?

Thank you so much in advance for any suggestions or comments.
@Eggcessive do you happen to know anyone here that might be of help or do you know what can I do at home to stabilize it or fix it?

Thank you so much in advance.

Are you certain the beak was not like that before the injury? Cross beak is a common defect in chickens. Can you see anything that looks fractured? I am not seeing any cracks in the beak. Is she eating and drinking? If the beak appears broken, that would require an avian vet.

Thank you so much for your prompt response @Eggcessive !!! You are awesome! The beak doesnt appear to be broken. I cant see any part of her beak loose, just the jaw misplaced. I am prett Sure that she was ok before I accidentally stepped on her. Wondering if thats the jaw that is misplaced or broken? I can see that she is struggling to eat. All her siblings are running with full crop that I can feel, this one doesnt have a full crop mid day, although I saw her peck but havent seen her drink. I had a kitten that had its jaw fixed with buttons, do you think that I can use same analogy with buttons to hold her beak allligned till it heals up or this is impossible?

I feel so bad for stepping on her… willing to try anything if you or anyone else has any other suggestions, ideas?

Thank you so much for your advice and sharing the article, it is fantastic! I will try helping her out…
So quick update!!! The beak somehow healed! I was feeding her softer food and this morning looks like the beak is straight and she is in even better spirits! Thank you so much for your help and suggestions @Eggcessive

Attachments

• IMG_3752.jpeg
    IMG_3752.jpeg
    369.8 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom