Injury to skin - feathers gone around area

BlueKittyMeow

Chirping
May 4, 2015
My hen has a wound under her wing. The feathers in that area are gone. Two of my other hens have similar feather loss, but no wounds, and two are totally fine. I am concerned that my rooster was too rough with her, but if that isn't the case I have no idea how she could have gotten the wound.

The hen is 10 months old and seems otherwise entirely healthy. I applied a antibiotic spray but the wound is so creepy looking, I'm not sure if I need to take her to a vet.

Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at here?
Thank you so much!

The rooster may have cut her with a spur. I would irrigate the wound with hydrogen peroxide only once (or use weak betadine or chlorhexadene) and look for any signs of maggots coming out of the wound. Then coat the wound with plain antibiotic ointment, such as Neosporin twice a day. If it seems infected, then I would continue to irrigate the wound with normal saline, wash and debride it, and reapply the ointment. Keep her away from flies. Let us know how she is doing.

Thank you eggcessive. I think it's time to check out the rooster's spurs and to invest in a few saddles. Poor little lady :/ I'll treat the wound as you suggested and will keep you posted. Kaylee my Buff says thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom