Injury

Dealchicks

Chirping
10 Years
Oct 27, 2013
This morning about 6 a.m. before the sun came up I believe opossum attacked my chickens in their coop they all came out and one of them is missing all their tail feathers and has a bloody behind. She's walking around fine. She won't let me catch her. The Coop door was accidentally left open last night.

Oh my. You definitely need to catch her and access the damage. Definitely clean her up because the other will pick at the blood. After you determine how she is make sure you have no weak spots cuz that critter will be back.

This morning about 6 a.m. before the sun came up I believe opossum attacked my chickens in their coop they all came out and one of them is missing all their tail feathers and has a bloody behind. She's walking around fine. She won't let me catch her. The Coop door was accidentally left open last night.
I don. I need to know what to put on her wound.
15391767598074201829651502810884.jpg

Oh my. You definitely need to catch her and access the damage. Definitely clean her up because the other will pick at the blood. After you determine how she is make sure you have no weak spots cuz that critter will be back.

I went and bought some vetericyn. But I can't even get her to let me spray her wound with it. Two of my chickens let me pick him up all the time and then the other two run. I think I may have to wait for her to go to roost this evening and grab her and put her in the house in a dog kennel. Any pointers on trying to catch her?

Omg that looks bad. Try to lure her with treats. Mine usually get caught thanks to blueberries. Or gently hurd her into the coop and close the door. Go slow and gently so you dont stress her out. Depending on the extent of that wound she may need a vet. I'd like to see it if you do manage to catch her. Poor girl. Definitely clean it gently with soap and warm water. Providing it's not super bad. If it tore her vent or is more than just a skin issue call a vet before you do anything. Also find a place to keep her for a few days. Damn thing needs its but kicked for doing that to that poor girl.

Is the other one on the ground ok? She looks like she may be ill. The one with no butt looks like a tough girl. I can see fight and life in her eyes so that's a excellent sign.

I suggest bluekote for the wound after treating it. It is a mild antiseptic, but also dyes the skin violet. That way the skin won't be red. Other hens will be less likely to peck at her wound. Tractor Supply and most farm supply stores sell it. It comes as a liquid with a dauber, aerosol spray, or pump spray. I like the dauber version. We used it on one of our hens after she had a 1" hole torn in her neck by another hen. We cleaned the wound with hydrogen peroxide, added a little neosporin, and then used superglue to close the wound. Then we coated it with bluekote. She healed up great.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/dr-naylor-blu-kote-dauber-4-oz

Last edited:
Blue is amazing. I love that stuff. And it also kills just about everything. I used it when I found a nasty puncture wound on one of my girls. Didn't even leave a scar

Back
Top Bottom