okitssteph

Hatching
Jun 3, 2021
SO long story short, my husband came across two little chickens off a highway around one of the businesses he looks after here in Alberta.

After monitoring them and leaving them be for a couple of days he noticed the Magpies bullying them and unfortunately came back to one missing and later found... :( The bullies had gotten to it.

He managed to get the other and took it home. It’s pretty chill and not scared of me and just struts around our backyard... ANYWAYS I would love to know if anyone knows what kind or gender this bird is. I would love to keep it and learn all I can about raising chickens!

Attachments

• 913E6B5A-8B87-499D-B17A-83F00484DEC6.jpeg
    913E6B5A-8B87-499D-B17A-83F00484DEC6.jpeg
    760.9 KB · Views: 14
  • A609F31E-9B74-405F-8EDE-6937BFF2E328.jpeg
    A609F31E-9B74-405F-8EDE-6937BFF2E328.jpeg
    682.7 KB · Views: 12
Maybe a male Easter Egger. I'm not sure whether it's a bantam (grows to about 2 pounds or 1 kilogram) or standard size (grows to 5+ pounds, 2+ kilograms)

SO long story short, my husband came across two little chickens off a highway around one of the businesses he looks after here in Alberta.

After monitoring them and leaving them be for a couple of days he noticed the Magpies bullying them and unfortunately came back to one missing and later found... :( The bullies had gotten to it.

He managed to get the other and took it home. It’s pretty chill and not scared of me and just struts around our backyard... ANYWAYS I would love to know if anyone knows what kind or gender this bird is. I would love to keep it and learn all I can about raising chickens!
Welcome to BYC and great you were able to rescue this one. Agree it is male and still quite young. Probably dumped by someone, unfortunately often done with unwanted boys.
If you are able to keep him , he will need some chicken buddies.
If you are unable to keep a male, your local animal shelter/rescue may be able to take him. Good luck! 😊

Looks very much like a young rooster, but not sure about the breed. What a cutie! Chickens can get lonely when alone, so he might like a couple of hen friends, but I've known people to just have a rooster for a pet and they are perfectly content. Check your local zoning laws to make sure you can own roosters in your area 👍

Back
Top Bottom