Innova vs Science Diet (c/d prescription)

i feed my cats innova ( evo ) canned and kibble. They love it. Though u should really talk to ur vet and c what they think. Though a great food as evo is, It is quite rich in protein and may not be medically what ur kitties need. Though feeding them a canned diet helps deter crystals from forming with a high moisture content. But again talk to ur vet and ask. Its great food and it would be great for ur kitties to be on it. u might b surprised too cause most vets hate science diet.

Cats are obligate carnivores. OF COURSE they need a diet high in protein. As for asking a vet....they get about as much training in animal nutrition as people doctors get in nutrition - not much and the information comes from feed manufacturers.

Last edited:
Just over a year ago, I had to find a different food for my cats. My old 13 yr old (at the time) I really expected to die he was so bad. He had urinary problems as well, and we were supposed to give him food that was for this or be faced with giving him pills daily. This cat does NOT TAKE PILLS! Vet recommended Science Diet, of course, but I had issues with having to have to go to her office to pick it up all the time.
Anyway, I got on a website from a dog breeder who recommended Flint River for my dogs and I discovered they sold Cat Food too.

This is what I feed the cats:

A Super Premium Food for All Breeds of Cats and Kittens
Flint River Ranch Cat and Kitten Food is a chicken and lamb formula manufactured under carefully controlled conditions and temperatures, resulting in better nutrition, palatability, and digestibility for your cat.
Protein is the most important ingredient in a cat's diet, and the amino acids provided by the chicken and lamb are the basic building blocks of your cat's muscle, skin, coat, bone, blood, and immune system. Taurine is an amino acid that is not naturally synthesized in cats and is critical for normal heart muscle function, vision, and reproduction in cats. Our cat and kitten food provides taurine levels in accordance with AAFCO nutrient requirements for feline food.
Diseases of the lower urinary tract, such as FLUTD (formerly termed FUS), occur frequently in cats. A common cause of the disease is struvite urinary crystals; typically a diet that promotes the formation of urine that is acidic and that is low in magnesium is recommended for this condition. Flint River Ranch Cat and Kitten Food has a magnesium level of 0.095% and a target urinary pH of 6.2.

Flint River Ranch Cat and Kitten Food provides 100% of the nutritional requirements for adult cats and growing kittens.

Flint River Ranch Cat and Kitten Food does not contain any by-products, synthetic preservatives, artificial colors, artificial flavors, BHT, BHA, or ethoxyquin and is naturally preserved with vitamin E

Anyway, it is pricey, but for 3 cats, a 9lb bag lasts me about a month and a half. My one old cat is now 14 and has no more issues with his urine problems since the new food started last year. The other cat is 10 and finicky, but the third is around 5yrs old and is a whopping 13lber.

Plus they deliver for free and they deliver fast!

Cats are obligate carnivores. OF COURSE they need a diet high in protein. As for asking a vet....they get about as much training in animal nutrition as people doctors get in nutrition - not much and the information comes from feed manufacturers.

thumbsup.gif

Very true, though I don't blame the vets of course. MOST vets are unable to take advanced animal nutrition courses, and very quickly food companies will "educate" them with information, and we all know how much companies love to toot their own horn.​

I'm still here, just amused by the "tails" you tell. I'm not so sure that my family would welcome the idea of the freeze dried mice or live ones for that matter! lol- although Teddy loves to catch and release, in the house mind you. We catch and release to find them begging to come in again! lol.
I plan on picking up a few cans of the wet food tomorrow. Also, drinking is luckily one of the things we do not have to worry about. Our cats have always been drinkers. They have 2 water dishes that we change out 1 or 2 times a day with really cold well water.
We have the 2 litter boxes, his at the bottom of the cellar stairs, and Fancy's in the catch all room. Teddy uses which ever box I am the closest to.
Teddy will get constipated if I am gone more then 3 days, neither cat will do the box without me in the house- I did not do this to them, honest. The first time Teddy began to have issues, he was constipated and dehydrated. 3 enemas, 2 bags of fluids...they called me to take him home, he refused to relax around them- 4 hours he held it, they called, I got him home, told mom to have the box ready...we stepped in the house, set him in the litter box and he relieved himself. Then this last time, they again, gave him enemas, fluids and made him stay over night, he was a very unhappy camper. Needless to say, that is when they found out he had high levels, no crystals yet, but a UTI, and raised levels showing that he was on the road to crystals.
I don't believe I'll go the route to raw food, but I am willing to begin giving them more "cooked" meat, and encouraging the raw beef (they love) and perhaps I'll try it. Who knows!
Oh, and BTW- I cannot get either of them to eat the C/D Science diet wet food without a 2 cans C/D to 1 can (don't hate me) of 9-lives Tuna. Oh gosh, I hate that stuff but that is what I once fed them, and ignorant to the food, learning and doing a lot of changes for these kitties.
I so appreciate your support and conversations about feeding raw, you know, I will not rule it out, who knows...perhaps we will have "spooks brand cat food"!
Oh, and a PS- I love the mouse - tweezers, omg you guys have honestly left me in stitches and laughing!!!!!!!! OMG, you are a true bunch of nuts...no, raw, right to the bone! Thanks for this subject, its truly inspirational!

Good on you for listening and taking it all in. That's the sign of a loving pet owner!
big_smile.png

There is no doubt you will find what works best for your kitty. Keep us updated and let us know how it works out!

Wifezilla, right on as usual. My own vet told me she got ONE HOUR of animal nutrition, covering ALL SPECIES, and taught by a guest speaker from one of the food giants that makes animal foods.
he.gif

I also consult with doctors on adding wellness options to their practices, including nutraceuticals and healthy lifestyle classes (12 weeks, mostly how to eat properly!! And not the governmental party lines about the food pyramid....real food. Imagine that.) The company I work with actually created CME (continuing medical education) courses for the doctors because one of their main roadblocks in guiding their patients in nutrition is that they got basically NONE in med school!
barnie.gif

So we are working hard at getting MD's and other health professionals to "see the light" and acknowledge the role of nutrition. (Referrals welcome....I do work on the phone, too, for long distance accounts! I am very passionate about what I do) Recently, MD's discovered that it is possible for humans to be deficient in vitamin D, and now that is all the rage, testing for D levels. Then the patients go off to Costco and by useless supplements, quickly created to meet the demand but generally not bioavailable to humans. Yes, and there are minerals in your sidewalk, too, but licking the sidewalk won't cure your anemia!
th.gif

If this kind of crappp is allowed with human products, well, it is MUCH worse in the animal food industry.

Most of what you read is about money, not nutrition. You would not believe the flak I get when someone discovers I feed my dog raw chicken wings....and the blank stares I get when I mention that coyotes, wolves, foxes, lions, tigers, and bears, oh my, eat raw, and yet not one Discover Channel show about them choking to death on the bones.

And the feed store clerks who warn me that my chickens will die if I feed them whole grains. Hmmm....who grinds for the wild birds?

Ooops, here I go again, on my soapbox! But seriously, Spook, meeting the nutritional needs of your animals does not take a degree, it just takes a few hours of diligent research and some experimenting to see what will work for your individual animals as well as your lifestyle. Just continue to be open to try new things, as you obviously are.
thumbsup.gif

This thread has re-inspired me to grind some raw chicken this week and try again to introduce it to my kitties, especially since they are both now healthy and eating well, it is the time to try again.

Well, I really appreciate the comments and opinions that are being made here. We do have a holistic vet in my area that treats all animals, so I am pretty dumb not to contact him! Uses herbs and food sources for all animals including a friend of mines horse.
That is a man that looks unimportant, hippie of sorts, yet will make a house call and even when this friends horse had to go for a lengthy ride to a "hospital" @3am, he grabbed his bag out of his truck and rode along incase the horse went down. How many vets would do that.
Guess I'll contact him right after christmas. Please continue to talk about your opinions, I'm sure someone will be a grump about it, but to the person suggesting that I contact my vet in regards to changing the cats diet, I do agree with you, I feel it is only right to check with a proffessional before you do a lot of changes.
Fortunately I can see the signs, and in constant contact with my babies, so that I know if one has piddled, I have seen him "miss" the litter box, I then watch, take away treats that my mom insists on giving him...those will be changing!!! But he finds me when he doesn't feel good, weird.
Reminds me after I had him fixed, the anesthesia was rough on him, I think it is on siamese, and he was sooo cold that I laid him on my chest with a quilt over us for about 6 hours. If I put him on moms chest, he would not accept her. So, I'd put him on the floor in the bathroom while I did my duty, pick him up, and sit in the chair to let him sleep it off.
Ok, enough from me, you have inspired me to find the holistic vet!
Atleast I have someone in my corner to help me. Although I am most certain that my Vet would not look badly at me. (I know just enough to be dangerous!!!!! lol.)
Thanks you all!

I plan on picking up a few cans of the wet food tomorrow.

Just read the labels carefully. Flavor to flavor in the same brand can have a wide variety of ingredients. Stay away from corn, wheat, etc...

Recently, MD's discovered that it is possible for humans to be deficient in vitamin D, and now that is all the rage, testing for D levels. Then the patients go off to Costco and by useless supplements, quickly created to meet the demand but generally not bioavailable to humans.

Got room on that soap box freemotion?
big_smile.png

How many people know that vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin? If you are eating low fat foods and drinking skim milk, you can take D until it shoots out your eyeballs and it wont help.

There are also 2 kinds of vitamin D. D2 (expensive, plant derived and often sold in prescription dose) and D3 (cheap, effective, animal derived, and available almost anywhere). Guess which one doctors are pushing???

I take liquid D3. Calrson's brand. Suspended in coconut oil.​

Back
Top Bottom