Input needed on a coop idea...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Wraith, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Wraith

Wraith Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2008
    Upstate SC
    I thought of building a coop sufficient for 6-8 birds. I saw the Amish one that had a Glasbord floor and thought that was a good idea. I wanted input on the following idea: Build the coop with plywood or whatever, but on the inside cover the insulation with shower board. That way when it's time to wash it down it would be easier. Is that a dumb idea?

2. Jacky'sMamma

Jacky'sMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Antelope, CA
    Sounds like a great idea to me! [​IMG]

3. TEXASSuperCHICKEN

TEXASSuperCHICKEN Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    Collin County
    As long as no water will get in behind the shower board it should be fine. If it does, you will get mold/mildew and eventually rotten wood. If you can get it where it won't leak behind you should be golden.

4. GallowayFarms

GallowayFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    sounds like it should work. Just remember to chaulk around the seams really well. Also if you put up plastic vapor barrier, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_barrier, then the shower board it will also help keep moisture from getting through.

Good luck,

Cheers

Nick

5. taratrip

taratrip Out Of The Brooder

hmmm thanks wraith you gave me an idea!!! i am getting a roll of remnant linoleum and i think i'm going to do the walls of the coop with it also!?
    does anybody have a suggestion as to how many posts i should use for a run 4' wide x 10' long x 6' high? can i go like every 4' or could i possibly go further?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by