Insane Skunk Went on Killing Spree

ImagineMore

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 16, 2014
Last night we were woken by a neighbor who heard our chickens screaming. A skunk had gotten into the coop and was trying to kill all our chickens! It was acting crazy, didn't stop even with 4 adults yelling and banging at the coop. I ended up opening the coop door, getting the hose, and chasing the thing away by spraying it while my husband got the 3 remaining live chickens out the other door and set them on the roof of the coop for safety. We had 6 originally, 2 weeks ago 1 had died but we thought a punk neighborhood kid had just let it out since the coop wasn't locked. Now we are sure that the skunk got it too. So we're down to 3, half our original number :( We are horrified, it was so traumatic.

So DH is obviously fixing the coop today, we know which crack it got through now and I think we'll also add some concrete blocks around the edge to discourage any new attempts at digging.

We also suspect rabies...I have never ever seen a skunk act the way this one, totally evil and unafraid of people. We're calling animal control to tell them about the rabid skunk and alerting all the neighbors. One of the neighbors is also setting a trap and has said they're willing to use their pellet gun if they see the skunk again. Do we need to be concerned about the remaining chickens and possible rabies exposure? We have kids so this is a big concern of mine.

Also, now we're down to just 3 white leghorns now. They're about 14 weeks old. Is it possible to introduce new hens in a week or two once things settle down? I'm not keen on raising a new small batch (2 maybe?) of day old chicks but we can if we need to and then introduce them when they're older. Is there any place to find 3-4 month old chickens? And if it is possible to introduce new chickens, any tips for doing so?

Sorry for your losses, but now that it's over the more important question is how to beef up your coop and run so it doesn't happen again. What type of wire do you use? You say it got into the coop through a crack...must have been a pretty good-sized crack, but hopefully DH will get that all fixed today. Putting concrete blocks down will discourage predators somewhat but not entirely. This is a good example of how to prevent predators from digging in:

Wire: if you are presently using regular chicken wire you should definitely re-think that. I only use 1/2" hardware cloth...everywhere. Chicken wire is way too flimsy and predators will tear it apart like butter.

I realize you and your family are still in a state of shock but wanted to show you some options that just might do the trick to keeping scumbag predators out. Trapping is all fine and good, but a .22 does a much better job in my book....best of luck and keep us updated!

I like that wire idea, so after that was put in you just buried it with dirt again? About how many inches does it go out from the coop?

Unfortunately we live in the city so shooting the skunk wouldn't really be an option but we're calling animal control as an extra precaution too. Lots of little kids play in our yard and our neighbors' yards and a possibly rabid skunk is extremely worrying.

I like that wire idea, so after that was put in you just buried it with dirt again? About how many inches does it go out from the coop?

Unfortunately we live in the city so shooting the skunk wouldn't really be an option but we're calling animal control as an extra precaution too. Lots of little kids play in our yard and our neighbors' yards and a possibly rabid skunk is extremely worrying.
The general rule of thumb is to go down 6-8 inches and out 10-12 inches. What I did was when I was "paneling" my hardware cloth onto my run I added about 14-18" to the strip. Then I started screwing it to the 2 x 4's starting at the top working my way down and whatever was left over went in "the ditch" .... it works. And BTW, don't just 'staple' hardware cloth....it should be screwed in using washers. Yes...once you're done, bury it...some people toss in broken glass as an additional barrier before burying, but I didn't.

Thank you for that link! No, nothing else came in contact with the skunk. I chased it away with the hose, spraying the heck out of the crazy thing. I was so mad I didn't even think about it spraying me, lol, but luckily it never even tried. We don't have any outdoor pets besides the chickens but I've already alerted all the neighbors, most of whom have dogs outside, so they can keep an eye on their animals and not leave them outside unattended for a while.

The 3 remaining hens are back in the coop and they seem pretty relaxed considering their ordeal. They're working out a new pecking order, arguing over who is biggest and such. My husband fortified the coop and closed up any/all gaps with boards and added rocks around the edges in addition to burying the wood boards several inches underground. We'll look at more fortification when we get back in town but we're headed to Georgia tomorrow and this is all we had time for. Our neighbors are watching the chickens for us while we're gone and I might do a stakeout in the kids' playhouse tonight with a bb gun and a trap set ;)

As a former RI resident who had a raccoon IN my home.... I'm not sure how much local "animal" control is going to help, When the raccoon got into our homeI had a two year old sleeping in the next room. Warwick told me I had a pest control problem and thatdI'd have to self remediate or hire a pest or critter contractor! Hopefully, your tax dollars provide you better assistance than mine did.

Last edited:
Sorry for your losses, but now that it's over the more important question is how to beef up your coop and run so it doesn't happen again. What type of wire do you use? You say it got into the coop through a crack...must have been a pretty good-sized crack, but hopefully DH will get that all fixed today. Putting concrete blocks down will discourage predators somewhat but not entirely. This is a good example of how to prevent predators from digging in:

Wire: if you are presently using regular chicken wire you should definitely re-think that. I only use 1/2" hardware cloth...everywhere. Chicken wire is way too flimsy and predators will tear it apart like butter.

I realize you and your family are still in a state of shock but wanted to show you some options that just might do the trick to keeping scumbag predators out. Trapping is all fine and good, but a .22 does a much better job in my book....best of luck and keep us updated!
I love this picture.....you really don't have to bury the apron wire at all, I just laid mine flat over the ground (so the mower doesn't catch it) and the grass grew right up thru it...go out at least 12 inches.

Back
Top Bottom