Insanely high humidity

cheequechick

In the Brooder
Dec 18, 2015
Indonesia
My Dutch Bantam Hen is broody. She has 10 eggs under her. First egg layed on Dec 12nd, 2015. So, in 14 days, she layed 10 eggs. And she is sitting on them started yesterday.
My concern is : I have very high humidity here (normally). But now is getting worse because of the rainy season.

My termo hygro said : 28.3°C with 92% humidity.

At first, I couldn't believe the humidity level. But then I checked the official weather report for my area, and it said between 65-90%.

I was shocked because I read few articles here about hatching eggs, and all of them recommend much lower humidity especially the first few days.

Is there anyway I can influence this humidity level ? My hen already hatched her eggs twice. But the 2nd time, she had 12 eggs and only 5 hatched. Now I realize that it might be because of the insanely high humidity here :( I had 1 egg that failed to hatch because the chick couldn't break the membrane :( Or do you think I should just let nature and the hen to do the best they can? :/

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks..3

Last edited:
If you're leaving her in the coop, I don't think there's much you can do about the humidity. If it were me, I'd just leave her too it. My hens hatch when its very humid and dry. Sometimes the hatches are good, sometimes not so much. I've felt under some of my hens while they're brooding and they're bellies have felt almost wet, and those eggs hatched fine.

She knows what she's doing, it sounds like. :fl you have an excellent hatch :)

If you're leaving her in the coop, I don't think there's much you can do about the humidity. If it were me, I'd just leave her too it. My hens hatch when its very humid and dry. Sometimes the hatches are good, sometimes not so much. I've felt under some of my hens while they're brooding and they're bellies have felt almost wet, and those eggs hatched fine.

She knows what she's doing, it sounds like. :fl you have an excellent hatch :)

*sigh..... I thought so too. I was hoping that there is a way to somehow lower the humidity.
Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it.

My Dutch Bantam Hen is broody. She has 10 eggs under her. First egg layed on Dec 12nd, 2015. So, in 14 days, she layed 10 eggs. And she is sitting on them started yesterday.
My concern is : I have very high humidity here (normally). But now is getting worse because of the rainy season.

My termo hygro said : 28.3°C with 92% humidity.

At first, I couldn't believe the humidity level. But then I checked the official weather report for my area, and it said between 65-90%.

I was shocked because I read few articles here about hatching eggs, and all of them recommend much lower humidity especially the first few days.

Is there anyway I can influence this humidity level ? My hen already hatched her eggs twice. But the 2nd time, she had 12 eggs and only 5 hatched. Now I realize that it might be because of the insanely high humidity here :( I had 1 egg that failed to hatch because the chick couldn't break the membrane :( Or do you think I should just let nature and the hen to do the best they can? :/

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks..3

Have you checked to see if the readings are accurate? I've got the same thermometer/hygrometer and it's fairly accurate (checked with the salt calibration method) but that's not to say yours is/isn't.

I'd personally let her do her job, if you get a successful hatch then you will know the higher humidity won't do any harm (at least when using a broody) and if you don't then you will have further proof that it will.

Did you crack open all the unhatched eggs last time? If they had no development then it's possible they weren't fertile to begin with.

Have you checked to see if the readings are accurate? I've got the same thermometer/hygrometer and it's fairly accurate (checked with the salt calibration method) but that's not to say yours is/isn't.

I'd personally let her do her job, if you get a successful hatch then you will know the higher humidity won't do any harm (at least when using a broody) and if you don't then you will have further proof that it will.

Did you crack open all the unhatched eggs last time? If they had no development then it's possible they weren't fertile to begin with.

The reading is accurate. I have checked with the salt method and I even bought another thermo hygro (different brand and type) and both showing the same result.

I didn't open all the unhatched eggs. I only notice 1 egg, because the egg already cracked (half), and the chick is inside, but the membrane is still intact. So, the chick was probably drowned :(

Back
Top Bottom