Insect meal is a growing ingredient in feeds.

ChickenCanoe

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Nov 23, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I discovered this interesting article about trends in feed. The market for edible insects in animal feed is about $300 million and is expected to reach over $2 billion in 9 years. While the biggest demand is in aquaculture it seems to be growing in poultry feeds as well. It seems to be able to replace a significant level of soy as a superior amino acid profile.
https://www.allaboutfeed.net/New-Pr...7/Insect-meal-Good-for-bird-and-eggs-448478E/

I
I'm way too grossed out to deliberately eat them myself (yes I know there's a bunch of bugs in my food that don't get washed/processed out) but never occurred to me what an ideal protein source it would be for commercial chicken feed.
Made my mom (67) close her eyes and try this new "honey roasted almond" i found last Christmas. I waited until she said "mmmm thats pretty good" before i let her open her eyes and see the box of roasted crickets. Hahahaha....she gagged for 5mins! I said but you just said they were good?

I
Made my mom (67) close her eyes and try this new "honey roasted almond" i found last Christmas. I waited until she said "mmmm thats pretty good" before i let her open her eyes and see the box of roasted crickets. Hahahaha....she gagged for 5mins! I said but you just said they were good?

I'm sure they probably are tasty (I've seen cricket chips at the local market) but bugs simply freak me out. Live, dead... I don't even touch the black soldier fly larva I feed the chickens (I have them in a plastic container, shake it out onto the lid, toss it from the lid). For the same reason I don't eat crustaceans unless they're "disassembled" because otherwise they resemble sea bugs!

I'm sure they probably are tasty (I've seen cricket chips at the local market) but bugs simply freak me out. Live, dead... I don't even touch the black soldier fly larva I feed the chickens (I have them in a plastic container, shake it out onto the lid, toss it from the lid). For the same reason I don't eat crustaceans unless they're "disassembled" because otherwise they resemble sea bugs!
🤣 laughing with you.

I
That's cold! And while it is a bit off topic, I have a couple similar stories.
My family always griped if I wanted to cook bison for dinner. They just said they didn't like it.
I bought a great piece of organic, grass fed, bison tenderloin. I grilled it perfectly over a wood fire. Served it up, they loved it and couldn't stop commenting on it. Well after dinner I smugly told them what it was.
On another occasion, a coworker who was Asian Indian in an arranged marriage pulled a prank on his wife. He was a hunter to spite his vegan doctor parents. His wife did not eat beef due to religious preferences. I think she was vegan too. He brought home some beef jerky and told her it was dried fruit. She ate it and loved it. When he told her what it was, she threw up.

Last edited:
That's cold! And while it is a bit off topic, I have a couple similar stories.
My family always griped if I wanted to cook bison for dinner. They just said they didn't like it.
I bought a great piece of organic, grass fed, bison tenderloin. I grilled it perfectly over a wood fire. Served it up, they loved it and couldn't stop commenting on it. Well after dinner I smugly told them what it was.
On another occasion, a coworker who was Asian Indian in an arranged marriage pulled a prank on his wife. He was a hunter to spite his vegan doctor parents. His wife did not eat beef due to religious preferences. I think she was vegan too. He brought home some beef jerky and told her is was dried fruit. She ate it and loved it. When he told her what it was, she threw up.
My sister wont eat red meat any more at my house because she refuses to eat venison. As a hunter, 99% of the red meat we eat is deer I also share it with my parents. So she doesn't trust us that the "beef" for dinner isn't actually venison.....for good reason. 😉

We had a neighbor who raised goats. He gave some meat to another neighbor who cooked it up and while the family was used to eating venison, he figured his daughter wouldn't eat the goat so he told her it was 'tame deer'.
Similar result as the other stories.

Back
Top Bottom