Inside Job

Komaki

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 10, 2011
I have had my share of preditor problems from time to time like anyone else. But this puts a new twist on predation.
About a month ago, my son went to collect eggs. We had expected 60 odd eggs. Not even 1 was to be found. This went on for some two weeks or so. FF to 4 days ago, we found a single dead hen. next day 2 dead. Third day 0. Okay maybe the demon has fled. Nope! (Keep in mind, still no eggs) Day 4...........My Rooster was chasing one of the hens, I saw him kills her almost as fast as a hawk could. I was too far away to stop it. This I never saw comming. Anyone else ever had this happen? All of the other Roos are kind to the girls. The girls are begining to lay again, but it's taken some time. I would like to know if anyone else has ever had this happen. You know, revenge IS sweet. (with dumplins)

Wow, that is a first for me. I'm sorry that you lost some good hens
sad.png

To be honest, I am not shocked that this could happen. Chemical imbalances, malformations, and damage can happen to any brain in any animal, causing destructive behaviors. I guess you have your version of a chicken serial killer. Freaky stuff.

Ive actually heard of a similar incident. Its truly sad that they would turn on each other. What is your ratio of roos to hens? Im not sure but that could make a difference.

I had a bantam Cochin roo who was spawn of the devil. He was so pretty and yet he went for every rooster and those he could bully, he tore into them with a viciousness I'd never seen in my flock. He also killed three pullets in my flock, breaking their necks or backs during the chase, catch, and rape.

He went to meet his father at the end of a shovel.

Now, I have a RIR cockerel who is really big and very horny; he has injured two pullets in his exuberance at mounting whether they like it or not. He's gonna be soup soon.

All the other cockerels and roosters are much more friendly and even if they wanna mount a reluctant pullet, they don't stomp 'em into the ground.

I've got about 12 Roos to 70+ hens. All hatched here. No cemicals ever. Unless it's in the feed.

Back
Top Bottom