Inside the coop!

Big +1 for making the coop tall enough to stand in so you can comfortably and diligently keep it clean. Other than that, I don't know how entertaining a coop needs to be. If you ask me I'd say it should have nesting boxes and roosts. Then the chickens should go down to the run and be chickens during daylight hours.

Knowing how big your coop is, will help answer your question better.

I made an 8 x 12 walk in coop for me to be comfortable in. I have a poop board that I scoop every day, which keeps it cleaner and the poop goes in the compost pile. An easy to maintain coop will be more fun for you, it shouldn't feel like a chore. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation in your coop.

Last edited:
Poop boards topped with sand! I use a kitty litter scoop for a quick morning clean up and a kitchen sifter for a more thorough cleaning — easy-peasy!
I also used vinyl flooring on the floor and up the walls. And installed a hinged window at floor level for easy clean out of bedding. I just added a hinge to the ramp so that it can be swung up and out of the way on cleaning day!
84C907E4-C44A-4679-A678-117E7B29E9AF.jpeg

Last edited:
Definitely finish the floor with SOMETHING easy to clean and waterproof! We didn't. I can't figure out a good way to fix it now that wouldn't involve keeping the chickens out for at least most of a day, which would cause problems. So I'm stuck with a bare plywood floor, not the greatest.

Build on a good foundation and think about drainage if your climate is wet or the ground freezes. Think about which way the wind blows, and sun and shade as well as snow and rain. Seasons change!

Above all I would say think about predators, from snakes to mice and weasels, raccoons and rats. Seal corners, because losing eggs and hens to varmints is definitely nobody's idea of fun!

Install a light if you can and a way to keep your water from freezing if possible. These are all things I wish someone had told us! Good luck - and definitely have fun!

Not sure where you are located- here in southern NC I just use a wire bottom on my coops and put them about 2' off the ground. Most of the poop goes right through the wire and the stuff that doesn't I can just rake out easily. Wire bottoms don't work in the ridiculously cold north (like anything north of Charlotte I consider north). ha.

I personally like multi-tier roosts too if you have enough room. My chickens seem to enjoy some choices.

Back
Top Bottom