Insides are on the outside of chick??

busywoman

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 11, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
Hello all!
I have had an exciting couple of days. My first successful hatch started yesterday early morning when one of my 23 eggs hatched. Went to bed last night with five hatched, woke up this morning with 11 hatched!
celebrate.gif
Have had four more hatch throughout the day. Not a bad hatch rate for my first sucessful hatch I think! Since this afternoon, I have pulled 13 out to put in the brooder and left two in who weren't ready yet. One of which, after getting the 13 out, I noticed had a buldge on its bottom side. When I pulled it out to see what it was, it was it's insides coming out of its bottom end! It was so weak and tiny and I felt so bad!
hit.gif
Is this very common? What causes it? Of course, it didn't survive, I felt terrible for it, there was nothing I could do. Also, it seems weird that out of the same batch, I have two others with problems. They are both BO's, I think, and both have one eye where the slit isn't in the middle where it should be, but it's more at the top so they can't really open that one eye. What is going on with that? Seems weird that it's both my BO's and not any others. Any ideas on what is up with my hatch? Why so many deformities in such a small group? I am hoping that more hatch out of the eight eggs left. I am totally new to this so I am clueless. Any thoughts or advice would be great! Thanks!

hugs.gif
I don't really know why these things happen, but I wanted to let you know I just had the same thing happen to me, and it is just a crushing experience.
hit.gif
hit.gif
Congrats on your live chicks!!! I am waiting for some others to hatch too. Best of luck, and hopefully someone else has insight as to what causes these things to happen and can help out a little.

I have never hatched chickens but I have hatched our goose eggs before. When we started having problems with hatches is when we stopped introducing new blood to the flock. Leg problems, eye problems, some just were failure to thrive and I even had one poor guy who's insides were coming out also. It was all eggs from the same bird. Its hard to tell when you have several ganders who the daddy is but apparently we were a few too many down the line with inbreeding. Or at least thats what our vets best guess was.

were the eggs sitting on something that was slanted if so that causes deformity sometimes. and I'm so sorry for the little guy thats insides fell out

Back
Top Bottom