Insides coming out of belly button

Ok. If it is the yolk sac...it does look a bit different than the mass my one chick had. It hatched with nothing herniated.
If it is the yolk sac it should have been absorbed and thus been in the belly anyway. I'm thinking it should be placed back into the abdomen if possible. After I did that I used a bandaid cut in lengthways down the center. I placed the two sides in the shape of an X. I'll now post pics of this....

The intestines sticking out
20160911_231318.jpg

The intestines replaced
20160911_233559.jpg

Bandaid cut length wise and placed in an X. This allows the bandaid to move with the chick and doesn't cover important parts like the anus.

I put Hibitane disinfectant ointment on the sterile pad of the Band-Aid as shown.
20160827_142519.jpg

This is what the band-aid should look like from the underside view.
20160911_234023.jpg

From the behind perspective
20160827_142446.jpg

From above.
20160827_142454.jpg

The middle of the X should be placed over the hole. The Band-Aid stays on surprisingly well. The worst part of it is taking the band-aid off to change it.

I had two chicks...the one in the pics with the intestine exposed and one that was pecked out of the shell by the hen. The last chick's yolk sac was broken open as well as a hole pecked in it's abdomen. I repaired both chicks with this technique and both chicks never missed a beat. Both were surprisingly bright and hardy and showed no signs of infection. The first chick with the pecked yolk sac had it replaced with non sterile equipment because I didn't have the ability since I was holding it from expelling worse. I did give it the tiniest bit of antibiotic because of this. The second chick didn't get any antibiotic. The hernia happened while he was still in the incubator in a container.

The hole on both chicks was healed in a day...but I kept that band-aid on for a few days to make certain everything was healed and to make sure a chick didn't get curious and peck the area. The wound didn't show any major drainage, which surprised me.

Sorry about three of the same photo, not sure how that happened. I was trying to upload a pic that shows the intestines...which I was successful in getting back in. The photo that uploaded three times, is what I'm not sure what is, and it does not want to go inside. It's even more squishy than the intestines. What did you use to push it back in?

Back
Top Bottom