Insight on my dog

Byrd gal

Songster
Dec 31, 2020
Sw ohio
My very old (16) pit has taking up the habit of constant barking if me or my hubby is not with her or at least very near. She does have hip issues, needing help on the furniture, usually she will slide off herself. I was out cleaning the coop and she barked for 3 hrs nonstop! There were other family in the house(mad) but she wouldn't stop barking or go out. Sometimes she will bark nonstop for no apparent reason us sitting in the same room. She seems mentally stable ,eye sight pretty good hearing ok some leg weakness. Ideas?

She could just want attention but I would contact your vet if possible. They will have more insight than most people on this website . :thumbsup

She could just want attention but I would contact your vet if possible. They will have more insight than most people on this website . :thumbsup
She sees the vet she gets rimadyl and tests etc. They gave her gabapentin and another for anxiety but she sleeps way too much on it and she is not an anxious dog and she still barks when she is awake. Just wondering if anyone had a similar problem with an idea

You said I sight pretty good. Possible she is not seeing as good or as far as you might think?
Possibly same with hearing. Might not hear as well as you think.
That kind of barking usually is caused from lack of hearing or sight along with old age.

My gosh, they give gabapentin to dogs? This is way out there, but my husband was on gabapentin after a severe back injury from crashing his motorcycle. He stopped taking it after a month or so cause he was experiencing some very strange mental side effects. I also have a CRAZY neighbor who I know takes the same medication for her back pain and she is a freakin kook. I might be really reaching but could that medication be causing your pup to have abnormal behavior? How long has she been on it?

Ok thanks for the tip!! I at least have something to go on at the vet now. I doubt they can help but at the very least she has a REASON for excessive barking.

My gosh, they give gabapentin to dogs? This is way out there, but my husband was on gabapentin after a severe back injury from crashing his motorcycle. He stopped taking it after a month or so cause he was experiencing some very strange mental side effects. I also have a CRAZY neighbor who I know takes the same medication for her back pain and she is a freakin kook. I might be really reaching but could that medication be causing your pup to have abnormal behavior? How long has she been on it?
Last time she went they gave it to her but I don't give it to her it zoned her so bad it scared me. She was on rimidyl but they changed it when I told them she barks all the time alot at night. It was too much for her. I think it would cause barking heck she probably would have spoken in tongues after a month on it

Poor pup :( I am so sorry that you and your old friend are experiencing this. Given how I have seen it interact in human bodies I would have assumed it would do the same to a dog! Is she on these medications for pain or what? I am unfamiliar with what rimidyl is.
Last time she went they gave it to her but I don't give it to her it zoned her so bad it scared me. She was on rimidyl but they changed it when I told them she barks all the time alot at night. It was too much for her. I think it would cause barking heck she probably would have spoken in tongues after a month on it

Is she your only dog?
My dog has anxiety but it reduced when I got another dog.
My first thought was with eyesight or hearing, but you said that seems to be just fine.
I have a 12 yr pit jack russel terrier mix she babies on. She never had pups and our male akita wasn't a love bug.

Back
Top Bottom