Insomnia?

equinehugger3

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 14, 2010
I've been having problems with insomnia lately.
sad.png
I've read that it's natural for teens to get energy bursts at night, but it's so annoying! I'm sitting here, awake at 11:30 PM, on a school night. Does anyone have any cures/ideas about this? I know it's a hormonal thing, somewhat, but I can't deal with it, especially with all of the schoolwork I'm doing...
barnie.gif

Insomnia can vary widely in root, onset, and duration. I have had lifelong insomnia, and it was not unusual for me to be awake until 2 to 3 am even as a small child. In high school, I averaged just a few hours of sleep a night, and had many all-nighters. Didn't matter what I did, even lying there in the dark, I just could not fall asleep. Eventually, as an adult I had to see a sleep doctor, and am now averaging six to eight hours of less interrupted sleep. For others, they may just have mild trouble falling asleep, which some solve with light, OTC antihistamine sleep aids or natural sleep aids. Much misinformation surrounds true insomnia. For instance, I was told much of my life to "just go to bed earlier". Turns out that actually makes things worse.

Last edited:
If you have a regular bed time and don't nap, that's best. I learned to meditate myself to sleep. I visualize myself lying on an air mattress , floating on the water . Calm , relaxed. Sinking deep into the mattress , so comfortable and warm. Think about relaxing each part of the body starting at your head and working down to your feet. You are a limp, sound asleep rag doll.

I found when I went off to college, that I had a much easier time getting to sleep if there was some noise in the background for my mind to focus on. It helped me stop thinking about everything that had happened during the day, or would happen the next day, etc. I still fall asleep with the tv playing some mundane and mostly mindless program and my husband turns it off when he comes to bed (he is even more of a night owl than I am!).

I think around this age it's pretty normal.
I was sleeping at 9PM and getting ten hours a night as a 13-year old, I'd freak out if I got any less, but nowadays I just go with it and head to bed at midnight. it suits me better and I worry less. (Yes, midnight even on school nights!)

I either count down from 100 (and picture the serta sheep jumping over a rock wall) or meditate.
Look up some guided meditations and youll be fast asleep in no time
smile.png

sheep29.gif

Quote:
I have the same problem - if I don't have either complete quiet, or some sort of noise to block everything else out, I can't sleep. My problem goes as far as not being able to sleep because my clock it ticking, my dog is licking his chops, or the fish coming up for air. Yet the crazy people at my boyfriend's apartment were a good background to fall asleep to
lau.gif

I started running a fan at night (I can't sleep if it's hot either so it was a 2 birds with one stone type deal), and that pretty much fixed it for me!

I think it can come down to scheduling too. Try to make a set schedule for your bed time routine and stick to it. That might help a little bit as well....Or just read a boring text book like hot2pot said...Those things can make me fall asleep with my face in the book no problem!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom