Insomniac Chickens?

Colleen2016

Songster
6 Years
Sep 17, 2016
Saint John, NB, Canada
I got up just now to let the dog out. It’s pitch black still at 6 am here. I felt eyes on me. The chickens were all up. Quiet but apparently wide awake. I gave them warm water and checked the coop. They’re still very quiet like they know they shouldn’t be up. I’ve never seen them do this before. Your experience?

I don't think something is inherently wrong, they might have woken from you, or, they might have heard something and are watching out for it. Or, they might have just decided they'd wake up earlier today

My dogs think it's great fun to go do their business outdoors in the wee hours, which always unleashes a torrent of crowing from the two roosters, who -- along with their girls -- I believe should be sound asleep.

I think your chickens likely heard you and, as prey animals, decided they better beware. Of course, when I think anything might be amiss, I immediately begin checking for predators with my night vision flashlight.

Are they still on the roost? Did you take a light into the coop? It is fairly easy to wak them up when there is light or noise. When I go into my coop at night to check on them or give medicine, I use a headlamp with the red light switched in, and that is less startling. They still will sometimes be looking around.

I have an automatic door that is set for time open. We had not adjusted it when it started opening when was still dark. A few of the girls ran out but soon realized it was still dark in the run too. They looked around for a minute and then just sat down on the ground trying to figure out were the sun was.

Are they still on the roost? Did you take a light into the coop? It is fairly easy to wak them up when there is light or noise. When I go into my coop at night to check on them or give medicine, I use a headlamp with the red light switched in, and that is less startling. They still will sometimes be looking around.
Thank you Egg: The dog and I didn't make any noise. The ladies were just up and wandering around quietly as if it was daytime. I checked the roost and nothing appeared amiss. I think something must have startled them. I should imagine they will have an early night and be back to normal tomorrow :)

True, it has been a full moon the last couple of nights. We have a dusk to dawn light near our coop, and we once had a rooster who would crow in the middle of the night, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom