insomniac rooster??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Nov 10, 2008.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    OK Why is my roo crowing at 3AM?? Is he determined to make the neighbors hate him??

The hens must hate him! No lights of any sort, no lights from anywhere else..... what gives?!?!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Maybe he hears something? Dog, cat, wild animals?

I had a roo, actually a few over the years, who would crow when I opened or closed my car door coming or going.

3. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Sometimes noises will get them going. I have roos that crow during the night, not much you can do about it.

4. hinky toes

hinky toes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2008
    Bozeman, MT
    This is a funny post. No matter what time it is (3 Am or 3 PM), if a car pulls into the driveway our roosters start barking like crazy.

5. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I had a rooster that would crow if the moon was bright. Or if a car came down my driveway. Is it possible that headlights are shinning in the window of your coop?

6. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I live so far from any road that the last time headlights that we weren't expecting came by we called the police!! LOL!

It must be wild animals. I looked when he started up last night and couldn't see anything.... But, we get deer and all kinds of things. If he doesn't get back to sleeping through the night we're gonna have problems!

The coop is RIGHT beneath my bedroom! I don't mind the crack of dawn, but the middle of the night needs to stop!

A guard rooster is great if only he could tell me - hey ma timmy's in trouble!

7. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    lol we had that same problem with our old RIR rooster, Ty. He used to crow ALLL DAYYY!!!! [​IMG] I didn't mind it but our neighbors did. And then he would crow early in the morning. But we sold him and kept his more quiet brother, Marty, who crows once and a while in the day. [​IMG]
    But, like everyone else says, he probably hears somehing and it gets him going, like wild animals or something. You can't really do anything about it. The only thing that would work is to sell him or trade him for another rooster, or (Which I HIGHLY DO NOT recommend) you could kill him. :| But I HIGHLY would not suggest that, just wanted to say that it's an option, but not a good one. But it's your choice. We traded Marty and got a young and waaay more quiet splash cochin rooster. [​IMG]
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by