Installed a automatic chicken door

big_smile.png
Great peace of mind. We still have the flap door , so we still close THAT over the AUTO door,,,,,,at our convienience,,,,,,,,kinda like double protection! I LIKE it!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
The drapery motor is 12vdc you don't have to have electricity to run it you can use a small 12v battery like a lawnmower are motorcycle battery. Use a solar cell to keep it charged.

To Frogs n Chickens

Thank you for the P/N's.

What a great DW you have. Now perhaps I can use the "no electricity needed" to get my DH to give me the ok to purchase (we already have well over $1,800 invested in our coop which I built with some guidance/assistance from DH) for our coop. Would it be easy enough for me to install alone. I'm not sure I could get DH to do go along with the install, as he is still putting the corrugated sun senor roof panels over our fence covered run roof, hopefully this weekend.

I'll have to move the door opener to the top of my Christmas list, and have our two college age sons assist in the "let's get Mom. . . " campaign and attach DH/DD on a unified front.
lau.gif
lau.gif

I don't think DH believes it's a necessity. His thought is "one of us has to go out to the coop to collect eggs so why not open/close the pop door at the same time."

I started another post for those that already have an auto door. I hope someone can help. My question is about making sure they are all in at night.

I thought it was working well, I set the timer to close the door at 9pm, but found around 6 hens and 1 rooster stayed out all night last night.

check my other post to respond!!
smile.png

thanks for any help!!!

My ladies are always back on the roost before last light, so the light sensor works great for me. I suppose if I had a few that stayed out after dark, I would have to add the timer to my setup.
Altogether, I have right around $1000 into my coop; but I have already made around $100 selling eggs to people at work. Plus I have given away dozens to friends and family. I don't count the cost of food and bedding into this.
Chickens... the perfect pet( so long as you don't mind the poop).

I have that same motor as the original poster. Now i'm thinking I may not install it. I may rebuild my whole coop and might not need one... so I might be selling it...

I have a hen house that has what I can only describe as a large key that pulls the door to the roosting part open and closed. I've been reading these posts about automatic door openers and all I can say is I want one!!! However, to me it looks as though it will only work with a door that raises and lowers? Is that right, or can I get one that will work with my door? Does anyone know whether it would be possible to adapt the door in some way so that it could be used with this automatic door opener? To my mind it would make me feel a lot less guilty having a lay in on a Sunday knowing that my girls are out and about in their run and not cursing me!!!!
smile.png

Quote:
You could still use the drapery motor to open and close a door as long as it's hinged on top, and does'nt wiegh a lot, ie; 15-60 lbs. you'd still hafta figger out a way to "lock them in". If you had a door that was small enough, you could use a LINEAR ACTUATOR. depending on how much "throw" you need to open and close, is directly related to price. (ebay) and they come in 12 volts, or 110, even 220. An actuator would provide the "locking" because once it's closed, it's closed. Pics of your coop and door would be helpful.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom