instant mash potatoes??

sunket77

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Texas Hill Country!
I just want to make sure, does anyone know if there is any problem with instant mash potatoes? I have some left over and the girls love left over treats! they haven't had any in a while. I have seen a few things on here about feeding them potatoes but I think that is if they are raw.....any clue?? thanks in advance!

I've given my girls and boys raw potato's , plants , mashed , instant, etc . Try not to read too much into what some say on here . Been raised country all my life , with 5 generations of info backing me up . Never lost a chicken to predators , and have only lost 3 in 5 yrs to unknown reasons . I do not worm , or vaccinate . Might be the area I'm in , but seems like too many people over indulge their chickens to an extent . I love them, I talk to them all of the time , but there comes a point in life where you have to just let them be chickens . Instant mashed potatos are not going to hurt them . Avacado will. Best of luck !

Mine love left over mashed potatoes. I also get a kick out of watching my rooster ending up with it all over his face.
big_smile.png

Thanks! we don't normally eat instant mash potatoes either. We had two boxes sitting the cabinet forever with one pouch each left. So I said what the heck and fixed both kinds and one came out like soup for some reason and no one wanted to eat them. But the chickens loved them and got it all over their faces! the bearded ones where the funniest!

Any cooked tator should be fine. It is the raw peelings (green) that I think can harm them.
Unionwoman sums it up for me. Let chickens be chickens.
Have fun.
big_smile.png

This is an old thread but I feel the need to voice a warning. Don’t let your birds eat a large quantity of dry (unreconstituted) instant mashed potatoes. When they drink water, the potatoes will expand in their crop or stomach and make them very sick or conceivably kill them. Many years ago, I had a boyfriend who did this (go figure) and became very ill.

Back
Top Bottom