Insulating a Coop

I have a friend that swears by feeding some black oil sunflower seed to prevent combs freezing. I am going to try it as it will cut my feed costs because my wife pays for the wild bird food LOL

I have a friend that swears by feeding some black oil sunflower seed to prevent combs freezing. I am going to try it as it will cut my feed costs because my wife pays for the wild bird food LOL
Boss is great for birds but never heard of that correlation, how does this friend equate this result.

Last edited:
I'd heard about the vaseline trick too, but I also heard that it really didn't do much. Thank you
I for one plan on using vaseline on my girls' combs around December when we go into our "deep freeze" .. temps down around -10 or so, day temps no more than +30...lasts around 2-3 weeks. But I don't plan on slathering it on .. just a light covering.

Boss is great for birds but never heard of that correlation, how does this friend equate this result.
He had some trouble with frost bitten combs and on the recommendation of another friend tried it and claims to have had success, but he may have change some other management practices also. I suppose it may be the same principal as feeding more scratch in cold weather, A high energy feed that gets them moving about. At any rate I am going to be dipping into the wifes bird food in the name of keeping the hens warm and my feed costs in check.

Back
Top Bottom