Insulating and heating old metal shed

mcbridb

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 10, 2011
Hubby has graciously allowed me to turn his old metal shed into the new chicken palace. Friends are helping with the construction/remodeling of said shed. I have some questions though regarding insulating and heat lamps.

The walls and ceiling are metal, floor is wood. They will be installing 2 vents in the top of the walls (1 in front, 1 in back) for ventilation. I plan to use that expanding foam where the floor meets the wall for drafts. Should I insulate the walls? If so, how could I attach insulation to the metal walls and then cover it? Also, should I have hubby put in electricity for heat lamps? I do have the electric heaters for the waterers that I connect to an extension cord.

We currently have 3 hens (1 is 1 1/2 yr old RIR, 2 10 mo old sex link hens). I am supposed to be getting 2 bantams and 6 sex link hens when the palace is done. Will that be enough chickens that I won't need to worry about heat lamps? Will they provide enough body heat?

people in alaska don't heat their coops...... i don't know where your located... it gets in the teens here for awhile in the winter, now n then down to 5 degrees, i have no insulation, no heat etc... my flock seems happy, lay eggs, hatch baby's, etc. etc..... i've never had a problem or heard any complaints....

I'd run electricity for lights and the water heaters, but heating the coop to keep it warm isn't needed.
You can insulate if you want by attaching sheets of styrofoam to the frame of the shed, but it will have to be covered with something such as paneling to keep the birds from eating it.

Personally, I'd wait and decide later if it's really needed.
It's not going to make a lot of difference in the temperatures if there is enough ventilation anyway

Back
Top Bottom