insulation for my coop.

smilingcat

Songster
10 Years
Jun 1, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I was planning on using insulation board (those styrofoam like material with aluminum on both side) instead of blown insulation or the roll of fiberglass insulation. I thought I could just cut the boards to size and "pop" them in. Then my partner said "Don't be stu**. They are chickens. They'll peck it apart!!"

Do I need to cover up the insulation board with 1/4" ply or can I leave them exposed?

The bottom 12inch will have linolium tile but anything above 12 inch would be exposed. There will be an insulation board under the plywood floor and under the ceiling. I'm planning on finishing the coop today with the exception of the window. No glass yet!!

Thank you.

Cover the insulation just to be sure. It's easier to do it now, rather than later if you need it, and there's no risk of them ingesting it if it's covered.
idunno.gif

they will peck at most anything. they are more curious than cats. and fowl love styrofoam. they will eat it up. wont hurt them at all. but there wont be much left. any type of insulation needs to be covered. 1/4 plywood is good product and user friendly, but most is over $10-$11 a sheet. 7/16" OSB is cheaper and more durable. even sheet rock is cheaper than the 1/4 stuff.

in my lil barn ive lined the walls with OSB.

Quote:
Yes, cover it, chickens enjoy pecking apart styrofoam
tongue.png

Use whatever peckproof you can get for cheap or for free, unless you are *trying* to help stimulate the economy <g>

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom