Insulation for winter

jakeryan

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2021
Hey everyone,

I have insulated my coop with some foam insulator for the winter which has done wonders but i want to cover it up so that my chickens dont peck at it all winter! I was thinking of putting some vapour barrier over top for the time being. Was curious if the chickens would peck at the vapour barrier or if you think it would be fine. dont want them pecking through the barrier to the foam or have them choking on plastic! thanks!

I am curious as to why you felt the need to insulate your coop. How cold does it get where you live? I live in NW Montana and have never felt the need to insulate my coop. There is 10 square feet of vents that are never closed even in the winter for a 6 by 8 coop that houses 5 chickens. There is no insulation at all. That way the air inside the coop stays as dry as possible so the chickens can use their down to keep themselves warm. A dry chicken is a warm chicken. I do understand that some people in other areas have much colder weather or much hotter weather and might find insulation beneficial. Where do you live?

Chickens will try to eat anything that can be pecked into small pieces. If you feel the need for insulation cover it up with something that can not be pecked and eaten.

i live in Ontario and where we are we get weather that can be below -20 at times but is usually around -10 in winter. Most people i know in the area insulate their coops here

I live near the Ontario/Quebec border, average temperatures during winter is -15C and usually a number of days that will get well into the -30Cs. I have a Woods KD style coop (ie completely open front with only hardware cloth covering). No insulation and no need for it. While I only know a few others with a flock most do not use insulation or heat. Those that do have chickens with more health issues than those who do not. I do have birds that are well suited to winter temperatures.

The absolute most important thing for chickens in winter is ventilation and then more ventilation; the consequence is the inside temperature of the coop is the same as the outside and insulation does nothing to change that. They do, of course, require roost space that is out of any drafts.

In addition, insulating and then enclosing the walls (BTW chickens will go through vapour barrier and then start to tear at the insulation very quickly) provides a wonderful space for mice, etc. to live bringing with them such wonderful things as mites and loss of food.

I live near the Ontario/Quebec border, average temperatures during winter is -15C and usually a number of days that will get well into the -30Cs. I have a Woods KD style coop (ie completely open front with only hardware cloth covering). No insulation and no need for it. While I only know a few others with a flock most do not use insulation or heat. Those that do have chickens with more health issues than those who do not. I do have birds that are well suited to winter temperatures.

The absolute most important thing for chickens in winter is ventilation and then more ventilation; the consequence is the inside temperature of the coop is the same as the outside and insulation does nothing to change that. They do, of course, require roost space that is out of any drafts.

In addition, insulating and then enclosing the walls (BTW chickens will go through vapour barrier and then start to tear at the insulation very quickly) provides a wonderful space for mice, etc. to live bringing with them such wonderful things as mites and loss of food.
Huge x2 for all of that.

I have found feed sacks are slightly peck resistant... so if you want to keep the insulation, you can stapel feedsacks over the insulation... BUT if the perch is up against the feedsack wall, they will tear through it...might take them a month though... depending on your chickens.

Cardboard will last a week i think...

If you want it to truly last... you need plywood.

i live in Ontario and where we are we get weather that can be below -20 at times but is usually around -10 in winter. Most people i know in the area insulate their coops here
Where I live it gets down to -31 C. Chickens don't mind it. They are still outside in the run all day long eating and drinking and pecking like chickens do. Of course my run has a roof and I put clear vinyl over 3 sides of the run so there is no breeze blowing on the birds. No chicken of mine has ever died in the winter. Do you have wrens and other little birds living outside? Do they look miserable? Around here the birds flit around doing their thing all day and find a nice place to spend the night out of the breeze.

I find it strange that people worry so much about cold weather. Chickens have to suffer when it's hot or even just warm outside. Just picture yourself in a down coat. At what temperature would you start to be too hot in it? Well, chickens wear a down coat every day. Cool temperatures have got to feel good to them.

thanks for the help guys! makes me feel much better! everyone i speak to around here insists i insulate and even have a heat lamp for my birds and i didnt think it was necessary to be honest! thanks for the help!

I have insulated my coop with some foam insulator for the winter which has done wonders...

It is not entirely clear what you meant by this, certainly as a being not covered in feathers and down it is easy to surmise that you felt a difference and thought it was better.

To me it suggests that your coop does not have sufficient ventilation as this is the only way that insulation would make a difference.

Your chickens need 1 sq ft of ventilation for each bird otherwise:
  • humidity can build up and cause frostbite and/or frost on the walls and ceiling.
  • ammonia can accumulate which is harmful both to you and your flock.
insulate and even have a heat lamp for my birds

If you are using a heat lamp you are adding risk. Your chickens need the opportunity to develop/maintain their winter coat and there is the possibility of fire caused if the lamp falls or is knocked over fires can erupt.

It is not entirely clear what you meant by this, certainly as a being not covered in feathers and down it is easy to surmise that you felt a difference and thought it was better.

To me it suggests that your coop does not have sufficient ventilation as this is the only way that insulation would make a difference.

Your chickens need 1 sq ft of ventilation for each bird otherwise:
  • humidity can build up and cause frostbite and/or frost on the walls and ceiling.
  • ammonia can accumulate which is harmful both to you and your flock.

If you are using a heat lamp you are adding risk. Your chickens need the opportunity to develop/maintain their winter coat and there is the possibility of fire caused if the lamp falls or is knocked over fires can erupt.
that makes sense. Thanks Ted!

i live in Ontario
Welcome to BYC! @jakeryan
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1610743479623.png

Back
Top Bottom