insulation material question

sashurlow

Songster
10 Years
Aug 18, 2009
West Rutland, VT
When we build our coop it will be insulated. I figure 1/2 inch plywood on the outside 1/4 plywood on the inside and foam between them. The Great Stuff foam in a can seems to be quite cheap. Has anyone used Great Stuff instead of foam panels? Much more work, but it would be more draft proof and possibly cheaper. Here is a search page from HD with both products: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?keyword=foam%2Binsulation&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
Any
thoughts?
Scott

I just noticed HD has the r values posted.
Great stuff has an r value of 5.1, 1 3/8 thick foam has an r value of 9.1 and 1 thick foam has an r value of 6.5.
I have no clue what this means beyond a higher number is better. How much better?
Thanks,
Scott

I don't know how much difference it will make in the coop.....It also depends on type of windows, vents etc. I would probably let 2 factorsbe my guide......price and ease of installation/what fits better. Remember you also have to cover the insulation with something....chickens will peck and eat foam/insulation. I used whatever was available, acyually have 2 different types of insulation, covered with plywood. The coops of folks I bought my chickens from (these people have raised larger #s of chickens but not large scale) were all without much insulation but draftfree and dry. They all said the temps are secondary. That's in WI. But the breeds are all winterhardy too. I am aiming to keep the temp in the coop (hopefully) at least in the double digits during the worst of winter. Just got a min/max thermometerso I can keep an eye on it. Just my $0.02
smile.png

Quote:
Looks like it might be expensive when you break it down. One roll is only long enough to make two strips up a 7 1/2' foot wall soooo to insulate a 8' x 8' wall you are looking at $75.08.... that would cost me over $300 to insulate my 8' x 8' coop walls....

There must be a cheaper way
sad.png

Last edited:
One roll??? I was talking about the Polyisocyanurate Rigid Foam Insulation vs the can. I figure that one 4x8 ft sheet of 1 3/8 foam is 25 dollars or 5 cans of spray foam. My coop will be 3widex6longx4?high ft so sheet of foam would have some waste as well. I just wonder how much a can can fill and would it be worth the extra work and lesser r value.
Scott

The link takes me to 12" wide Self Adhesive Duct Insulation. Is that the right one?
idunno.gif
?

that's strange... When I click on the link I get to the search page I pulled up (with the duct insulation as one option). Maybe because my computer did the search I can get to it. Try this link, its not a search but a category on their page.
http://www.homedepot.com/Insulation...1&catalogId=10053&langId=-1&omni=c_Insulation
regardless, between my 3 posts I put up the what, the how much and the r values.
Thanks for the opinions and thoughts. I'm really curious what the R values translate to.
Scott

Quote:
Draft free and dry are more important than temperature. In fact, if your coop is too warm inside your birds will have trouble with the coldest weather, same as if you're used to being a couch potato in a warm house and have to go outside for something. They'll be healthier if they keep themselves warm in a draft free place.

I third the motion for being concerned more about it being dry than insulated as long as you do not have warm climate birds. I have seen successful coops with healthy chickens that were open to the south in Canada. Just a 3-sided shed really. I imagine the owners put deep piles of straw in there so that they could bed down in that if roosting was just too cold. Ventilation is very key, even in wintertime. The ammonia gas cannot be allowed to build up too much. You will want no drafts where they roost in wintertime tho, but will want a constant draft there in summertime. I doubt a heater is necessary in Vermont for chickens. A deep pile of straw in one corner would provide an option for really cold weather so they could bed down in it if the roost was just too cold. They will roost when you would think they would not tho. They will huddle together whether on perch or in straw.

Back
Top Bottom